Data Drive and Parity 2 Drive Showing errors, and both are Failing SMART

Go to solution Solved by Michael_P,

Hey guys, been doing a lot of digging on this one, and am starting to confuse myself, so I'm hoping I can get some clarity from more knowledgeable individuals. Here's the story:

Bought two used 6tb WD Red drives middle of last year, added one to data (Disk 5) and one to Parity 2. Haven't noticed any issues since installing them. Last week, noticed that Disk 5 was disabled and emulated. Ran a SMART test, and then an Extended SMART test. First one was fine, second was showing a read failure. Also noticed that errors were showing on the main dashboard, and my Parity 2 drive was showing errors as well. Checked the last parity check, and there was 1 error. I ran the same two SMART tests on the Parity 2 drive with the same results as Disk 5. Screenshot of my dashboard Main-Array Devices attached.

Did a lot of digging, and seems that the SMART tests could be showing either the drives are failing, or it's a cable issue. Haven't been able to figure out how to figure that out yet. I've attached the SMART test results for both drives. I've also attached my diagnostic file.

Curious what people think about these two drives, and what the next course of action would be? I've got a 12tb drive enroute to help with things, and I'd like to end up with that being Parity 1 and my 8tb being Parity 2. I'd love to keep the 6tb drives if it's just a cabling issue, but need to make sure they aren't actually failing. Let me know if I left anything out. Thanks!

Screenshot at 2023-01-27 08-19-27.png

Disk-5-smart-20230127-0815.zip Parity-2-smart-20230127-0816.zip diagnostics-20230127-0820.zip

Edited by isellion
13 minutes ago, isellion said:

Screenshot of my dashboard attached.

That is not a screenshot of the Dashboard page. It is a screenshot of Main - Array Devices.

Both disks have failed and should be replaced. Emulated disk5 mounts.

You can rebuild disk5 and parity2 at the same time. Make sure you double check connections.

Thanks for the help! So, easiest way to fix this would be to power down, remove both failed drives, add new drives, power back up, and reassign the new disks to the missing slots, and then have it do a rebuild? I didn't know it could do both at the same time. Very cool. Does it matter which parity drive is larger? I'm guessing not, but maybe?

Edited by isellion