Parity and 1 drive no longer available.

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I have recently rebuilt and added on to my unraid NAS.
Most of my drives are 3TB, and the parity drive I set up is 6tb.
I don't know what happened, but my array spun down and I am seeing errors. 
What should I be looking for here, and what are my next steps?

I've had this server for many years, but only recently started adding and actually using it.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 214441.png

bigdaddy-diagnostics-20230202-2137.zip

Do you have any data on these USB disks yet? Do you still have the original parity drive, or any other SATA disk at least 3TB you could use as parity?

Best idea would be New Config without any USB and rebuild parity to a 3TB or more SATA disk, then if there is any data on the USB drives you could use Unassigned Devices to get to it.

Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

Nothing on the usb drives yet, I don't think. The Parity drive is in the enclosure.
Unfortunately, I don't have more space in server.

The 130 PB is what got my attention too. And of course, this issue happened during our ice storm here in Texas and I think we lost power for a couple of short periods.

Edited by BrettWeaver

Alright! I pulled The usb enclosure, and reset the drives. Here's how it looks now.

I cracked open the server and confirmed I only have 4 spaces for drives which I am using the drives I had previously. They seem to still be up and available.
The question is what to do next.
After reading, I am seeing that using a USB 3 enclosure is not advisable since it's possible for the devices to reset (which is what I think happened in the brief power outage we had here) and that they are showing as generic devices.

How about an eSata connected enclosure?
I am not seeing in the forums that most are not against it....

The server itself is pretty powerful and will give me the ability to do more with Docker and Plex.

Thoughts?

And thank you for help so far, btw.

Screenshot 2023-02-04 150616.png

• Solution

A single eSATA connection will not work well for multiple disks.

Probably the best approach if you are going to limit yourself to that hardware is just to upsize your disks. I always recommend fewer large disks instead of many small disks. Each disk requires more hardware to support it. Large disks perform better than small disks. Perhaps most importantly, each additional disk is an additional point of failure.

I have always used small form factor builds, and have just replaced my small drives with larger drives to get more capacity. All my drives were 2TB or smaller when I started, now they are all 8TB, and the smaller disks have been reused in other ways such as offsite backups for the truly important data.

I also have a backup server, also small form factor, made up of leftover parts from upgrading my main server. It is all 6TB disks that were formerly in my main server. The backup server gets backups of my media (not important) and is only powered up occasionally.

Jorge, 
Those drives are considered new as I have never put anything on them. I unassigned them.

Trurl, 
I think that's the direction I am going to go. I was just seeing if I could save money by using the enclosure.
I am going to start upgrading my drives, and use the enclosure as back up connected to my primary computer.

Thanks again, everyone!

Understood.
The trick was to have the parity drive up to date, correct?

That was my initial issue. I inherited this server, and it ran fine on it's own for years. But I am aware that I needed to not only expand, but get a new computer to run this. Hence getting the Dell Server. The issue really started when I realized that after all these years, I could've lost everything if one of the 4 original drives went down!

So then, until I get the new drives, I'll have to keep the Parity drive on the enclosure, then upgrade each of the ones on the server, and eventually get the parity drive connected directly to the server. Keeping in mind any upgraded HD will need to be under 6tb, unless I get a larger drive as the parity first before going to the next level with the old drives.