[Solved] Switching Cache Drive Assignment

Evolze
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hey all,

I have a quick question regarding switching pre-existing cache drives and the best avenue to go about this. When I originally built and spec'd out my Unraid server a few months ago, I thought I would need more storage space to provide backups for my files, VMs, and other applications. 

However, my needs have now changed, and a focus has been put on having more VM storage rather than backup space. I have had my file and VM backups in place for a while now, and after re-evaluating my storage needs, a larger VM cache drive is the way I'd like to go.

Anyways, for this scenario, I currently have two cache drives (although three in the system overall).

• 1x 512GB Solidigm NVMe
  • 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe

For my cache pools, I currently have them configured this way:

Backup_cache = 1TB Samsung NVMe

• Share on Drive: backups

VM_cache = 512GB Solidigm NVMe

• Share on Drive: domains

I would like to have the cache drive assignment changed to the following new configuration:

• Backup_cache = 512GB Solidigm NVMe
  • VM_cache = 1TB Samsung NVMe

I already have all the data from both shares (backups & domains) backed up to the array, and if needed, both drives can be formatted/switched at any time. 

Finally for my question, what is the best way to go about doing this and switching the cache drive positions? 

I attempted to just stop the array, and change the disk positions, but I kept getting a pretty stern Wrong, and I don't necessarily want to start the array in case it accidentally overwrites my Docker cache drive (screenshot below). 

incorrect-cache-drives.PNG.4e723ef005f8dcf63e5bf8cd4606bb24.PNG

------

TLDR; I have 2x cache drives. Data has already been backed up on them both. I want to move Cache Drive A from Pool 1 to Pool 2, and want to move Cache Drive B from Pool 2 to Pool 1. 

Current Config:

Pool 1: Cache Drive A

Pool 2: Cache Drive B

New Config:

Pool 1: Cache Drive B

Pool 2: Cache Drive A

Thanks all for any help or insight you can provide, and sorry for the long post! 😄

Edited by Evolze
Edited post title to Solved.
  • Evolze changed the title to [Solved] Switching Cache Drive Assignment