UNRAID not starting after POST with raid card in x16 slot

Go to solution Solved by TheIronAngel,

Hey, I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with UNRAID where I have an AMD CPU with graphics (2200G) in a Gigabyte B450M S2H motherboard with an HBA.

This motherboard only has 1x16 slot and 2x1 slots for expansion.

I first tested the machine without any drives installed to ensure UNRIAD boots normally and get all the apps and what not installed and didn't have any issues at all.

I set the UEFI/BIOS settings to Force on CPU graphics: Enabled and to Prefer iGPU as the startup display output instead of the default PEX16 slot. I then rebooted without HBA to confirm settings don't have an issue and all was working.

Once I had the HBA installed in the PEX16 slot the machine now beeps for post but starts to a flashing underscore and does nothing else.

I can't see UNRAID on the network and it reboots with CTRL-ALT-DEL commands as well as turns off instantly with the power button which indicates to me that the OS hasn't started at all

I've flashed the most recent BIOS to the board already and can't install the HBA in any of the other slots as the card won't fit in them due to the slot not being 'open' at the end like in server boards.

I know the HBA works as I was freshly using it in an intel system with iGPU in the PEX16 slot and didn't have any issues.

I don't need a video card in the system hence I have installed the x8 HBA into the x16 slot.
All drives are empty on the connected HBA as they are fresly pre-cleared after being removed from another array and getting a wipe and re-preclear.

I've put a pin in the project for the day since it's at work but thought I'd consult the forum experts to see if they've seen anything like this.

I did try my Google-Fu before posting but could only find people who were able to get UNRAID to start but not show a GUI on the host - as in, they could communicate over the network to the box. I can't.

During my digging I've found these 2 things I can try tomorrow, is there anything else I should add to this list:

Reflash the BIOS (just in case)

Manually set the PCIe version to the correct one for the card as AutoNeg might not be setting correctly.

Edited by TheIronAngel

Right, that's a given, sorry if I wasn't clear, thats what I'm looking for troubleshooting tips on.

It has to be something to do with the HBA in the x16 slot that's causing it to have issues as without the card UNRAID boots normally.

Additionally the board sounds the single beep for "POST Complete" and then dispalys out to the flashing underscore.

Its like the board is still trying to hand over video to the HBA even though it has been instructed explicitly not to. If there are any settings in the UEFI that I can change outside of force CPU graphics and Displayout via iGPU that might change things, I'm all ears.

Unless you're trying to say that this motherboard simply won't work with an LSI2008 controller in the PEX16 slot

• Solution
12 hours ago, TheIronAngel said:

Reflash the BIOS (just in case)

That's something I'll certainly try doing, maybe an older version too?

12 hours ago, TheIronAngel said:

I've flashed the most recent BIOS to the board already and can't install the HBA in any of the other slots as the card won't fit in them due to the slot not being 'open' at the end like in server boards.

Aaah, I'm not sure about the 2200G, but it maybe alike my 5700G.

And that has the (evil) feature to cut out 4 lanes from the 16x slot for his internal GPU.

Sadly they are the 2nd 4, so the remaining slot has 4x+0x+4x+4x lanes usable.

It might be that the hba is not capable to run under these circumstances.

(and no, there is nothing to do, the "stealing" happens inside the processor already and the 1st 16x slots (usually also the only 16x slot of a board) is directly connected to the processor. the other slots hang behind the chipset)

So it might be possible that this HBA cannot run at all in this MoBo / Processor Comibination.