Installing new flash due to old USB Corrupting

PrabhyB

Hi All,

I apologies if this has already been answered but i haven't been able to find an answer online.
My USB device which had my Unraid OS on it had corrupted and couldn't be used anymore.
I am now using a new USB device with a new install of Unraid, however the last backup I had of my OS was before I introduced 2 new disks to my server. Unraid has now assigned 2 of my original disks and my parity disk but not assigned 2 of my new disks which have data on them.
When I manually assign them, i see a message stating they drives will be Overwritten when the array is started.
Can anyone suggest a way I can ensure the data on the 2 new drives are not lost? 
I was under the impression the Server will clear down the drives but then rebuild them as they were before the corruption using the parity drive but I am not 100% confident in this and therefore uneasy about starting the server.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Prabhy 

11 minutes ago, PrabhyB said:

Hi All,

I apologies if this has already been answered but i haven't been able to find an answer online.
My USB device which had my Unraid OS on it had corrupted and couldn't be used anymore.
I am now using a new USB device with a new install of Unraid, however the last backup I had of my OS was before I introduced 2 new disks to my server. Unraid has now assigned 2 of my original disks and my parity disk but not assigned 2 of my new disks which have data on them.
When I manually assign them, i see a message stating they drives will be Overwritten when the array is started.
Can anyone suggest a way I can ensure the data on the 2 new drives are not lost? 
I was under the impression the Server will clear down the drives but then rebuild them as they were before the corruption using the parity drive but I am not 100% confident in this and therefore uneasy about starting the server.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Prabhy 

No - Unraid will not rebuild the drives as it does no know about them since you restored an older backup.

What you should do is use Tools->New Config, and select the option to preserve current assignments.    You now go back to the Main tab and add the additional drives Unraid does not know about.   You should also be able to tick the Parity is Valid checkbox to start the array with the new drive set without rebuilding parity.   Having said that I would be tempted to run a parity check to make sure parity really IS valid.

BTW:   You can always make a manual local backup of the flash drive by clicking on the Boot Device on the main tab and then selecting the backup option.   A good idea to do this after any hardware change.

• 4 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 4:05 AM, itimpi said:

No - Unraid will not rebuild the drives as it does no know about them since you restored an older backup.

What you should do is use Tools->New Config, and select the option to preserve current assignments.    You now go back to the Main tab and add the additional drives Unraid does not know about.   You should also be able to tick the Parity is Valid checkbox to start the array with the new drive set without rebuilding parity.   Having said that I would be tempted to run a parity check to make sure parity really IS valid.

BTW:   You can always make a manual local backup of the flash drive by clicking on the Boot Device on the main tab and then selecting the backup option.   A good idea to do this after any hardware change.

I'm also trying to re-build things after what I believe to be an error with a corrupt USB file problem.

I do have a diagnostic file that I created before things went sideways.  Is there any way I can identify my two parit drives, and which is which from the diagnostic files?

If so, where do I start looking ... 🙂

38 minutes ago, John_in_NZ said:

I'm also trying to re-build things after what I believe to be an error with a corrupt USB file problem.

I do have a diagnostic file that I created before things went sideways.  Is there any way I can identify my two parit drives, and which is which from the diagnostic files?

If so, where do I start looking ... 🙂

You can use the steps detailed here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

• Like 1