Promoting Array Disk to Parity, Replace with Smaller Disk

jessetn

TLDR: I need to promote an 18TB array drive as a 2nd parity, and replace it on the array with a smaller 14TB drive.
Short story long...
I purchased 2x 18TB drives last year. I did the "parity swap" dance with a 12TB drive.
Instead of being actually smart and adding the other 18TB drive as a 2nd parity right then and there, I didn't. (to be fair, I was waiting on a HDD caddy for more mounting space)
Fast forward to one of my 6TB array drives failing a few months later, so I panic-swapped it to my only spare drive, the other 18TB, so my kids could continue to watch their precious Coco on repeat on Plex.

I picked up 2x 14TB drives during the holiday sales.
I'd like to now replace the 18TB array drive with one of the new 14TB drives, so I can utilize the 18TB as a secondary parity drive. However, I find myself a little stuck not being able to replace the 18TB array drive with anything smaller (understandable)
From my understanding, the failed drive or disk swap parity dance doesn't really apply since I would be reducing the total size of the array, but surely there's a "safe" way to accomplish this? TIA!
image.png.81ebe3271ef8acbde70ee401decd64f9.png

The only way I can think of is:

• Use Tools->New Config (with Preserve all assignment)
  • Return to the Main tab and put the 14TB in place of the 18TB.   Leave the 18TB unassigned at this point
  • Start the array to build new parity based on the 14TB drive being in the array
  • Format the new 14TB drive to get it ready for use
  • Mount the old 18TB drive via UD, and copy its contents back to the array.
  • Once all the data has been copied off the 18TB drive it is now ready to be assigned as parity2