Unraid Locking UP

Reptar
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hey guys!

So I've run into a weird issue recently. I've noticed my unraid instance has been going offline overnight and it requires my to press the reset button on the server. So far it's happened two nights in a row.

The only thing I've done differently in this time frame is install redis, postgres, elasticsearch and mastodon via the apps module.

I also noticed that the screen on the pikvm I have hooked up to the machine was blanked out the first night, so I've disabled screen blanking by following this post. After the second night I checked pikvm and noticed that the cli didnt seem frozen (cursor was still blinking where you enter the username).

I noted that I could not type anything via pikvm and could not type anything via a USB keyboard I plugged in...

I've attached diagnostics. Thank you so much for the help!

diagnostics-20230216-0857.zip

21 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Make sure this is done and if yes enable the syslog server and post that after a crash.

Thanks for the heads up!
I was unable to find the power supply idle control setting (even though its listed in the manual) but I went ahead and disabled Global C-States.

If it continues to crash, I will enable syslog server as mentioned and will re-share diag and syslogs. 

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

• Like 1
On 2/17/2023 at 8:16 AM, Reptar said:

Looks like it locked up even after disabling C-states globally.

Will enable syslog server tonight before I go to bed and will re-share diag and syslogs tomorrow!

So, after that first time immediately after changing the bios setting, it hasnt locked up since.... I'll keep turning on logging nightly for the next week or so in the event it does happen again...

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

I did also install new RAM a few weeks ago so I'll do a memtest now to be safe.

Will definitely boot in safemode as suggested tonight as well.

Thanks for the help @JorgeB!

EDIT: Did one pass on memtest and there were no errors

Edited by Reptar
  • Like 1