Trying to upgrade hardware but UnRaid wont boot. SOLVED

googen75

I have a R720xd runnning Unraid for a while now and it is working just fine. My home lab (hobby) and the higher electricity costs we are all experiencing and I have decided to migrate to newer hardware to try to decrease my power consumption.

I have the new hadware installed in a rackmount case I was gifted and has a trial license runnning. It all works fine. I started to copy files from the original server to the trial version and I figured I would just transfer the license to the new setup once all is complete. 

I have been reading and learning the unraid file system and how it works. So I started to move my data in my original server to my large drives to eventually remove the older smaller drives. It took a few days and finally had all the data moved and consolidated to the newer larger drives. 

I reconfigured the setup and removed to empty drives. I powered down the R720xd and started to migrate the drives and hardware to the new build. 

I tried to power the new hardware up and it would not boot. I unplugged all the drives so only the usb and the NVME drives were attached, and still lwould not bnoot.

I tried replacing the usb key with the trial one I was using to test, and it boots just fine.

After a couple hours and frustration. I moved the drives and usb key back to me R720xd and i have it running again. 

I don't know what else to do.

Should I back up the config and restore the config on the new usb drive and try it again since I know that one will boot. Then if it will boot on old config with out drives.

Maybe I will just return the new hardware since it would take a while to get the ROI of the new harware.

Thanks,

Edited by googen75
SOLVED
4 hours ago, googen75 said:

It just goes to the network boot screen option as that is the last boot option. I looked at both usb sticks, and they both have the "EFI" folder without the hyphen "EFI-"

Have you checked in the BIOS that it is seeing the USB drive as a bootable device and that it is the first boot device selected?

• googen75 changed the title to Trying to upgrade hardware but UnRaid wont boot. SOLVED