Disk Read and UDMA CRC Errors

DingHo
Go to solution Solved by apandey,

My Unraid server has just completed a 5+ month journey across the Pacific ocean on a literal slow boat from China.  All disks were removed from the server and packed in pelican cases.  I put it all back together and it booted up and the array starts just fine, however I've been getting disk read errors and UDMA CRC errors on Disk4.  It's been a long time since the last parity check.

I think I should just remove/replace/rebuild Disk4, but just wanted some advice before starting that process. 

I've attached the diagnostic files.

Thank you.

scour-diagnostics-20230226-1356.zip

• Solution

if the disk wasn't disabled, and all you are getting are UDMA CRC errors, you should look at connections first (SATA / Power). Replace cables, check they are properly attached etc. It's more likely a connection issue than disk issue. Since you have reassembled, its more likely too

If that doesn't help, run extended SMART test on the disk before you decide to replace it. Replacing disk would make it look like disk issue if all it does is reconnect new disk properly

@apandey Thank you.  I think you are correct regarding the SATA/Power connections. I swapped another array disk to the problem position and the CRC and read errors began occurring on that drive and not the previous one.  I then double checked all connectors on the back of the hot swap drive cage, then tried again and it seems to have fixed it.  I'll run a non-correcting parity test now to confirm.  Thanks again.

• Like 1