[Resolved] Unable to share unassigned drive having previously been able to do so.

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have a WD Purple drive that a remote PC writes to 24/7; it is in unassigned devices and has been set to share. I recently upgraded the Unraid hardware (CPU, mobo, RAM and the Unraid flash disk as it was showing signs of failure at about the same time) and since then (I think), it hasn't shown up on the available server shares on the network; so I'm unable to map to it from Windows clients nor mount it from other Linux devices.

The drive mounts ok within Unraid and I'm able to read the contents. I have a workaround by creating a folder share that simlinks to the purple drive, but I'd rather have it working properly. I've attached the diagnostics and would appreciate any suggestions to fix this. Thanks

nabu-diagnostics-20230301-1314.zip

• Solution

Have you checked under Settings->Unassigned Devices->SMB Security that you do not have it set to No (which means do not make it visible on the network).  You want at least one of the other modes - probably Public I would guess which used to be the default until security on shares was tightened and the No option was added and made the default.

• Like 1
  • Boyturtle changed the title to [Resolved] Unable to share unassigned drive having previously been able to do so.
43 minutes ago, Boyturtle said:

Thanks for this, it now works perfectly, as before. I have no idea how this setting changed!

If you never set it explicitly it was probably picking up whatever was the current default.  In a relatively recent update to UD as part of tightening security the default was changed to No.  It was mentioned in the changes but I guess you missed that :)