[Solved] Disabled Drive - New Drive Bad?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I recently built a new Unraid box as my current box is well past time to retire (12 years old, I love Unraid).

I purchased all new parts, built the system, installed the latest stable release of Unraid configured my shares and was off. I was up and running a couple days testing with no visible issues. So, I started copying about 10TB of data from my old system to the new. The best way I knew to do this was to use an intermediate Windows machine and RoboCopy to get the data to the new build. It was working very well but was going to take a few days to sync all the files (about 550,000 files). On the second day or so, I noticed that one of the drive's status was disabled and started troubleshooting. I had connected my 3, 8TB drives to a LSI HBA, no issues. After Drive 2 went disabled, I swapped the SATA cable out for a known good cable, same result. I removed the LSI HBA from the system and connected all drives directly to the motherboard sata ports, same result, Drive 2's status was disabled, Parity and Drive 1 were fine as before. So I don't believe the issue to be either the HBA or the SATA cable. I've attempted to run a few SMART tests from within Unraid with only one attempt succeeding, all others failed for Drive 2. What's interesting is that even though the SMART tests in Unraid failed, when I pulled the drive and installed it into my windows box Seagate's SeaTools testing says it passed...showed no issues. 

So that's why I'm here. I have no idea what to do next to definitively prove this drive is bad (since their app says it's good) before I contact Seagate Support for RMA. Attached all the log files I could find. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bo

home-nas-diagnostics-20230302-2007.zip home-nas-syslog-20230303-0206.zip home-nas-smart-20230302-1952.zip

The diagnostics no longer show AATA errors which is good.

The SMART information shows (as you mentioned) that no test completed for that drive.   When running such a test you want normal access disabled to avoid i aborting the test so best to do it without the array started or in maintenance mode.   To do a thorough test you should run the Extended test but for that you often need to (temporarily at least) disable spindown for the drive while the test is running as it can take hours to complete.

FYI:  The diagnostics include the syslog and SMART information for all drives (plus other items) so normally no need to provide them separately.

Thanks for the info related to the logs. 

Regarding the SMART tests, I stopped the array, double checked that global and individual disk spin down settings are set to Never but the tests all fail with:

# 1 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset)

# 2 Short offline Interrupted (host reset) 

# 3 Short offline Interrupted (host reset) 

Appreciate you looking at the logs.

-Bo

Small update. I've downloaded and ran Seagate's SeaChest suite of tools (from a bootable USB drive) and ran through the SeaChest_SMART utility to run some basic smart tests. Running the smartCheck option results in the drive passing the check with no errors. However, running the short diagnostic drive self test (shortDST) test results in a failure. 

At this point I have moved the drive from my HBA directly to the motherboard, switched the sata cables out and am seeing this short diag test fail from Unraid and from the Seagate utilities. I guess it's time to open a case with Seagate as the drive is under warranty.

Thanks to anyone that took the time to read through this post. If Seagate support does anything other than replace the drive, I'll post another update. 

-Bo

So before I request a replacement drive under warranty, I pulled the problem drive out and installed it to my primary Windows based workstation and ran the drive through a few self-tests. I ran a couple short self tests as well as the long self test (ran for hours) with Seagate's SeaTools app. It passed everything in the Windows machine. 

I've updated the firmware to the latest available on my Unraid motherboard as well as the problematic drive with the same results as before (logs attached).

Something I noticed when I installed the drive in the Windows machine is that Seatools reported the "negotiated" speed with the drive was only 3gb/s. Comparatively from the unraid syslog the motherboard/drive appears to be locked to 6gb/s. Could this be the issue? The drive simply will no longer work properly at full speed? Is this reason enough to go ahead and RMA it?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

-Bo

home-nas-diagnostics-20230307-1207.zip

But the drive will not come online with status "Device is disabled, content emulated" and there are several errors in the syslog related to this drive, small excerpt below. 

Mar  7 12:02:26 Home-NAS kernel: ata4: hard resetting link
Mar  7 12:02:27 Home-NAS  rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.2102.0" x-pid="787" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Mar  7 12:02:32 Home-NAS kernel: ata4: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: ata4: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: ata4.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:00(SECURITY FREEZE LOCK) filtered out
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: ata4.00: ACPI cmd b1/c1:00:00:00:00:00(DEVICE CONFIGURATION OVERLAY) filtered out
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: ata4.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:00(SECURITY FREEZE LOCK) filtered out
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: ata4.00: ACPI cmd b1/c1:00:00:00:00:00(DEVICE CONFIGURATION OVERLAY) filtered out
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: ata4.00: configured for UDMA/133
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#18 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=9s
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#18 Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#18 ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x4 
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#18 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 03 a3 81 2a 80 00 00 00 08 00 00
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 15628053120 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar  7 12:02:36 Home-NAS kernel: ata4: EH complete

Thought?

-Bo

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Drive will be disabled until your rebuild it, missed the errors since they were earlier in the boot, but not good if you've already replaced cables.

Yes, I've replaced cables (3) and moved it to multiple sata ports on the motherboard and the LSI hba. The drive worked fine in my Windows machine, but as mentioned it only ran at 3gb/s speed. I guess I should just RMA the drive and quit fooling with it, do you guys agree?

Thanks,

-Bo

• Sinjen changed the title to [Solved] Disabled Drive - New Drive Bad?