Copy of single big file (vdisk) using Unraid file explorer

Hello,

yesterday I did backup of my VM (single vdisk file) with size of 137GB. I used built-in Unraid file explorer for copy. It took some time until I reached 100% (for the first time), however after reaching 100% it started to do something strange. Basically the original copied file was becoming smaller and there were 4 other files which were becoming bigger. Also My percentage counter started again. All of them were in the end of the size of vdisk file (4 x 137GB), which were copied originally. So to copy my 137GB VM image I needed to have space in array for over 500GB.

In the end of the process after approx. 4h and 30min, there was again only original one vdisk file with size of 137GB.

Please see attached screenshots below.

My array consists of 3x 2TB HDD (1x parity, 2x data), XFS file system, default settings.

My questions are following:

Is this normal behavior during copy of a big file or something went wrong?

Why were there created other 4 copies of the file which was already copied in the array and in the end they were again deleted?

Thank you in advance for your support!

EDIT: I did some testing and first copy of big file is quite OK, however if I do 2nd time another operation (copy of big single file), then it is doing mentioned thing. Any ideas?

VM Copy.jpg

VM Copy3_1.jpg

VM Copy6_1.jpg

Edited by ELP1
On 3/3/2023 at 6:42 AM, ELP1 said:

I used built-in Unraid file explorer for copy

There's no built-in file explorer, you are using the Dynamix File Manger plugin, so please use the existing plugin support thread instead:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/120982-dynamix-file-manager/

P.S. vdisks are thin provisioned, not sure how the plugin handles sparse files, alternatively you can use:

cp --sparse=always /path/to/vdisk/source /path/to/vdisk/destination

Thank you and sorry for forgot to mention plugin and creating thread in wrong place.

It looks like that it is working again. I completely overlooked "Plugins error" tab, where was listed also File manager. So I clicked uninstall from this tab and I uninstalled it also from standard "Plugins" tab. Afterwards I installed it again and for now I do not see described copy issue.

EDIT: Copy issue is again present, further discussion will be in the plugin thread. 

Edited by ELP1
  • Like 1