[Unassigned Devices] Remote Share Access / Permissions

Scenario: I want to create a shared folder on my Windows PC that can be accessed by Unraid (for example, moving files between PC and server with Krusader). However I'd like that folder not to be accessed by other PCs on the network.

I can create the share and mount it, but it seems like it will only work so long as when making the folder shared in Windows, read permissions are given to "Everyone". This of course means any other PCs on the network can find and access the folder.

Is there a way to get around this?

Note, Password Protected Sharing is disabled on my PC (which I believe is a requirement for the remote share to work) and I also do not log in to Windows with a password.

On 3/5/2023 at 12:17 AM, RogerTheBannister said:

However I'd like that folder not to be accessed by other PCs on the network.

Shares are controlled by user access, not by machine access.  You can't restrict access to a share based on the machine that's accessing it.

On 3/5/2023 at 12:17 AM, RogerTheBannister said:

I also do not log in to Windows with a password.

Although you don't log in, Windows will have created a user for you.  It's just that this is the only user for that computer.  The drawback here is that this user does not have a password so if you want to restrict access through a share you'll need to give this user a password or create another user with a password.  I recommend that you create another user and give this user a password (first create the user without a password and then give this user a password - doing this bypasses the security questions that Microsoft adds when giving the user a password).  This user will be a special user that unRAID uses to access that computer.  You can continue to use your main user that you do today without a password (nice and easy to log in to Windows).  Once you do that you can create your share and then change the permissions by removing "Everyone" and replacing this with the user that you just created.  When you create the share in unRAID it will ask you for a user name and password at which point you provide this new user and its password.