Server Losing Network Connection

Recently my unRAID system has been dropping off the network and I am not sure why. Hard reboot does work, but powering it off and then running through parity check every couple of days is not good.

This morning it was offline after being up for the last 3 days no problems. I can't ping the IP, manually assigned, outside of DHCP range. The web page, shares, and all dockers are offline. I checked the server monitor (normally headless) I have plugged in I see a normal login prompt. I tried root and my password but it does not login. 

I hard reset the server and it came right up. Parity is running again. The hardware is a previous gaming system from a couple upgrades ago and it's been running unRAID for years now. I'm suspecting hardware, but how do I track down the failure with unRAID?

I attached the diagnostics from after the reboot. Also after reboot I could log into the CLI.

Any ideas for what to look at?

tower-diagnostics-20230320-1103.zip

Edited by quietas
  • quietas changed the title to Server Losing Network Connection

Yesterday Plex had two scanning processes lock up and would not continue for hours. I tried stopping the container but it would not stop. I decided to restart unRAID so I killed the Plex process and closed the open files. The array would not stop and kept retrying. Eventually I restarted, everything came up OK.

I just checked a few minutes ago and it appears the server rebooted on it's own about an hour and 45 minutes ago. Previously the server had been rebooting on it's own for about a week but then stopped.

I attached the syslog.

syslog-192.168.42.15.log

Nothing relevant logged today, there are a few call traces before, but not clear to me what they are about, could be hardware related, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.