We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

formatting drive formats other drive?

so i was doing a little maintenance with my server (5.0 beta 10). i unassigned drive ten from the array, then reassigned it so i could format it. then when i got to the next page i saw this:

705bf1142861580.jpg

i thought maybe it was just a gui bug but when it was done, both drives were wiped instead of just the one. any idea how this would happen?

so i was doing a little maintenance with my server (5.0 beta 10). i unassigned drive ten from the array, then reassigned it so i could format it. then when i got to the next page i saw this:

705bf1142861580.jpg

i thought maybe it was just a gui bug but when it was done, both drives were wiped instead of just the one. any idea how this would happen?

post a system log.  BEFORE YOU REBOOT.  It is important to see the status of the other drive.  (Was it still mounted, or was it also showing as unformatted... only the syslog will show the actual state)

Sent limetech a PM and send [email protected] an email. Point him to this thread.

Joe L.

crap. i actually didnt notice it until i rebooted. after the format i turned it off. the next time i turned it on i noticed both were formatted. i ran a paraity check without correction and no errors found. i also assume the drives are completely formatted so any "undelete" type software would be useless, right? its probably useless but heres the syslog anyway:

syslog.txt

crap. i actually didnt notice it until i rebooted. after the format i turned it off. the next time i turned it on i noticed both were formatted. i ran a paraity check without correction and no errors found. i also assume the drives are completely formatted so any "undelete" type software would be useless, right? its probably useless but heres the syslog anyway:

Not true.  Users have had huge success in recovering data from an accidentally "formatted" drive.

Follow the instructions here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5087.msg47070#msg47070

• 1 month later...

705bf1142861580.jpg

Please list the exact sequence of steps you took.  Merely reassigning a disk will not cause it to get reformatted.

well it was a while ago but heres what i did:

i got a new 3tb so I removed the old parity drive and rebuilt parity with the new 3tb. the array was perfectly normal at that point. it was a while ago but i dont believe i did anything different than i had when previously adding new drives. i added the new drive but did have some issues trying to assign the drive to an empty slot. from what i remember that was only because i couldnt remember how to do it with version 5.x or ive only done it on 4.x. but once i assigned it it showed up as a blue dot, just like it normally does, but when i hit format, i got that screen shot. i thought maybe it was just a gui glitch and wasnt really formatting both drives. made sure and took a screen shot though. thats as best i can remember right know but i do know remember that there was nothing out of the ordinary until that screen, as i had done this many times before. i wish i could be more help but if there is anything i can think of i'll make sure and tell you.

Archived