[SOLVED] One drive automatically spins up when accessing other one

Hello!

At the moment I have four data drives in my array and around the time I have replaced my on-board NIC with Intel PRO/1000 GT (about a week ago) one very strange thing started to happening. Whenever I try to open a file from disk 4 unRAID automatically spins up drive 3 for no reason because 99% of my data are video files and when I stream it to XBMC I don't see why my player may need to look at something else than requested movie. At least it wasn't neccesary for the last 8 months. Additionally disk 3 spins down at the same time disk 4 does.  Can you help me with that?

All of the drives are connected to the motherboard's SATA controller.

I'm especially worried because I want to replace my parity drive with a faster one, use the old one to upgrade my disk 3 (1TB) and finally add another new 2TB HDD so I can max out my Plus licence.

Current specs in my board's signature

Syslog: http://cl.ly/8w7f

P.S. Sorry for my english - it's not my native language :-)

Hello!

At the moment I have four data drives in my array and around the time I have replaced my on-board NIC with Intel PRO/1000 GT (about a week ago) one very strange thing started to happening. Whenever I try to open a file from disk 4 unRAID automatically spins up drive 3 for no reason because 99% of my data are video files and when I stream it to XBMC I don't see why my player may need to look at something else than requested movie. At least it wasn't neccesary for the last 8 months. Additionally disk 3 spins down at the same time disk 4 does.  Can you help me with that?

All of the drives are connected to the motherboard's SATA controller.

I'm especially worried because I want to replace my parity drive with a faster one, use the old one to upgrade my disk 3 (1TB) and finally add another new 2TB HDD so I can max out my Plus licence.

Current specs in my board's signature

Syslog: http://cl.ly/8w7f

P.S. Sorry for my english - it's not my native language :-)

search on "spinup groups"  it is a design feature.

Thanks! They were in the same group, so this should help. I've heard about spinup groups but have never used them. I've checked Devices and Shares tabs on my unRAID webpage when I realised what was happening but didn't see anything that could help or be relevant. Only when you point out this I did proper research on wiki and found about links on the Main tab and assigned different spinup groups.

But one thing still bothers me - how did this happened in the first place?

But one thing still bothers me - how did this happened in the first place?

It did not "happen" per say, it is a feature that is enabled by default and default spinup groups are set up based on what unRAID sees.  It was implemented to prevent a pause in media playback.

Archived