Thinkstation P700 problem

martsch1982

Hi, i m not sure if it s the wright place but lets try 🙂

I have a Thinkstation P700 with one Xeon e-2690v3 with 12c24t about 80GB RAM. All is working stable but i have a problem with the PSU FAN (sadly it s a poperitery psu about the connection so not easy to replace it with a standard one) in low load scenario the fan is quiete loud if i put load on it eg stress tests etc the fan of the psu isn t hearable. Also if i have the governor set to ondemand and have some docker and a vm running it s still noisy. if i set it to performance it s much better but still not silent. First if i stress it i can t hear it anymore. 

it s a 690W psu and i also replaced it with a new one but it s the same. I also tried to play around with the c-states etc but nothing helped. 

Yes of course i can run a docker like stress-ng all the time but it make no sense about the energy usage. So may someone had asimiliar case and may someone solved it already?

on top about lm-sensors i got always an error about 

Found unknown chip with ID 0xb732 , i found some infos about the board and there seems to be a Nuvoton NCT6683D installed. But in the community store there is only a nct6687 driver. Is it possible to add it via custom kernel? Did somone done this already.

btw i m on 6.12-rc2 but it was the same with  6.11.5

Thanks

Edited by martsch1982
  • 5 months later...