Using DD command to copy XFS disk, Unraid system does not recognize it

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Unraid version: 6.11.5

Operating process:
1.I built a 24-disk array, where the sdh disk is 8TB, XFS system, containing a large amount of data; the sdx disk is 12TB, XFS system, without data;
2.I used the dd command to copy all data from sdh disk to sdx disk;
3.Since the sdx disk is 12TB, after the data copying is completed, I used fdisk to adjust the partition and used growfs to expand the XFS file system, as well as xfs_repair to fix the file system;
4.After all operations are completed, I manually mount /dev/sdx1 mnt/sdx1, and I can see the files in the sdx disk, which seems to be no problem.

Existing problems:
After performing the operation, whether restarting Unraid, rebuilding the array, the Unraid interface always shows sdx disk (with the file system already selected as XFS system) as "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout"。

Some key commands :
nohup dd if=/dev/sdh of=/dev/sdx bs=128K status=progress > dd1.log 2>&1 &
fdisk /dev/sdx
xfs_repair /dev/sdx1
mount /dev/sdx1 /mnt/sdx1
xfs_growfs /mnt/sdx1
I also upload the logs.

Question:
How should I operate to make Unraid recognize the XFS system of sdx disk?

ljq-unraid-diagnostics-20230403-1330.zip

28 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Unraid requires a specif partition layout and signature, you can format the new disk with Unraid then copy the data from the old one.

@Moderators

Your meaning is, if I format the sdx disk as an XFS system in unRAID, and then use the dd command to copy the data, it will cause the XFS partition to be unrecognizable?
Is there any solution to this? manually adjust the partition layout and signature?
I don't want to format the new hard drive again and then copy 8TB of data again using rsync or cp commands.🤣

15 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If you format it assigned to the array (or pool), not using the CLI.

Translation: I first formatted the disk to the XFS filesystem through the web interface and then used the dd command to copy the data. However, the dd command would definitely overwrite the target disk's filesystem and partitions, causing Unraid to be unable to recognize the XFS partition. Based on this conclusion, it is not recommended to use the dd command for full-disk copying in Unraid, or it's not a problem if the disks are of the same size? I'm still not quite clear about Unraid's unique partitions and identifiers.