Unmountable disk after adding a new disk

I’ve added a new drive to my unraid array by replacing a smaller one. However, another drive, not included in the transaction, became unmountable. It said it was dissbled. I’ve done short and long SMART tests and both gave no errors. Here’s the output of “xfs_repair -v /dev/md5” and my diagnostics.

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... couldn't verify primary superblock - not enough secondary superblocks with matching geometry !!! attempting to find secondary superblock... ...found candidate secondary superblock... unable to verify superblock, continuing... ....found candidate secondary superblock... unable to verify superblock, continuing...
<bunch of dots>
unable to verify superblock, continuing...
<bunch of dots>
Exiting now.

g1-diagnostics-20230405-0810.zip

What kind of file recovery util could I use?

Do I understand correctly that I’d be recovering files from the unmountable drive using a recovery util, put those files on another drive, and then format the unmountable drive to add it back to the array?

26 minutes ago, Guanyin said:

Do I understand correctly that I’d be recovering files from the unmountable drive using a recovery util, put those files on another drive, and then format the unmountable drive to add it back to the array?

Correct, UFS explorer is one utility often used, but I would first wait for v6.12-rc3 that should be released very soon, possibly during this weekend.

On 4/8/2023 at 9:54 AM, JorgeB said:

Nope, rebuilding a disk won't generally fix filesystem issues.

Could you elaborate on this? Isn't the filesystem issue with that specific disk? Or is a filesystem issue an array issue?

Another question: which version of UFS explorer is required? 

Another question: What if I forfeit the data on that drive, format the drive and add it back to the array? Would that work? Obviously, I wouldn't know which data I would lose.

7 hours ago, Guanyin said:

Could you elaborate on this? Isn't the filesystem issue with that specific disk? Or is a filesystem issue an array issue?

Rebuild is to replace a failed disk, when there are filesystem issues usually the parity will emulate the same issues, but there have been exceptions, when the parity is not 100% in sync.

which version of UFS explorer is required? 

I believe standard version.

Another question: What if I forfeit the data on that drive, format the drive and add it back to the array? Would that work? Obviously, I wouldn't know which data I would lose.

Yes.

Now I get this notification 🤔

That suggests you are rebuilding the disk, I assume the emulated disk is still unmountable?

I assume the emulated disk is still unmountable?

Yes.

I’m going to wait for another xfs_repair (which is giving the same result as my initial post, so far). 

When that doesn’t work I’ll await the v6.12-rc3 update.

If that doesn’t help I’ll try file recovery.

If that doesn’t help I’ll try replacing the disk with a new one.

Is that a sound strategy?

Thanks for all the help so far!!

• 1 month later...