I kinda dont understand how NBZGET works...

hey -Noob here-

After setting up NZBGet with my news server credentials, I opted to use encryption by selecting "Encrypted server connection (TLS/SSL)." My questions are as follows: (Q1) Does this mean that my ISP is aware that I'm connecting to Usenet services but cannot see what I'm downloading? (Yes/No) (Q2) Could I face any consequences with my ISP if they happen to find out what I'm downloading? (Yes/No) (Q3) I wasn't sure about the answers to these questions, so I redirected my NZBGet traffic to DelugeVPN. However, the speed drops have been significant, going from 40MB/s to 5 MB/s. Is it worth it to continue using DelugeVPN given the decrease in speed? (Yes/No) Please let me know if I need to clarify or explain anything further.

Moved to lounge since this isn't really an Unraid topic.

Q1 yes, but doubtful they would even bother to look unless you were causing other issues

Q2 maybe, depends on whether you violate any of their specific TOS unrelated to the content, such as total bandwidth used

Q3 not worth it, unless the decrease in speed puts you below the ISP's threshold of whether they care. If the artificial speed cap keeps you under the radar, then I guess it could be worth it.

The ISP doesn't really care what you download or upload unless you bother other customers in some way, or you cause a disturbance that gets you noticed and they receive a complaint about you. The larger the ISP, the less any single individual will matter. A mom'n'pop ISP serving a few thousand customers or less in a rural area might notice large amounts of data transferred by one particular node.

You only get a copyright infringement notice from your ISP if someone (such as RIAA) notifies them.  And this happens almost never for Usenet downloads as you aren't uploading anything (as you do with a torrent).  And if you are downloading nzb files, none actually contain data that is even a playable form of a snippet of the media.

As for your performance drop with DelugeVPN, I use the same combination of dockers, and I easily reach the max of my current ISP speeds.  So the bottle neck is likely with your VPN provider.  Try a different location/server.

I didn't read your post, but I'm going to suggest:

Use Sabnzbd or NZBget is also great (but deprecated, kind of, for bots that don't know better, or beter)... go figure. :)

Happy to help via SSL/TLS/HTTPS/NNTPS/ALS/ALANON/... OK, Trying to be funny.

MrGrey.

On 4/7/2023 at 1:37 PM, ConnerVT said:

You only get a copyright infringement notice from your ISP if someone (such as RIAA) notifies them.  And this happens almost never for Usenet downloads as you aren't uploading anything (as you do with a torrent).  And if you are downloading nzb files, none actually contain data that is even a playable form of a snippet of the media.

As for your performance drop with DelugeVPN, I use the same combination of dockers, and I easily reach the max of my current ISP speeds.  So the bottle neck is likely with your VPN provider.  Try a different location/server.

i have Verizon 1 gig up and 1 gig down as per the VPN provider i have PIA. i suppose i should try a different location.

I use PIA as well.  binhex DelugeVPN.  linuxserver.io NZBGet.  Newshosting as the Usenet provider.  300/10 cable provider.

Things I would check (excuse me if some are obvious):

- Use the PIA client on your PC, connect to same PIA VPN server as your Unraid box, and check if you can get full transfer speed.

- Confirm DelugeVPN isn't also working torrents at the same time as Usenet download (could be stealing some bandwidth)

- Review the Binhex VPN FAQ (especially Q6) for possible causes of low transfer speeds.

- Configure DelugeVPN to use a different PIA server. (Info also in FAQ)

- Ask for help in the Binhex - DelugeVPN support thread.