Anyone running separate box for downloads

mArBLe

I am about to setup my first Unraid server, which will be used as a file server but also for running a couple of different Docker containers.

What I am contemplating now is if it would make sense to actually setup applications such as Radarr, Sonarr and the likes on a separate low-power device which will be running 24/7 (in my case I actually have an Intel NUC 8th gen that I plan to install Proxmox on and use for running a bunch of containers that I do not want to run in Unraid, e.g. Home Assistant, as I do not want certain services to go down just because I have to tinker with the hardware of the Unraid box), whereas the Unraid box would be shutdown during the night, to save power.

If using the above then of course things would have to be moved from the separate box during the day, directly to the final storage in the array as to not filling up the cache pool and then still having to wait for the mover to run.

Anyone doing something similar? If so, I would very much appreciate some details.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my current situation and it was surprisingly easy. However I only did it because it was more cost and time effective to buy two licenses and re-use hardware rather than buy new hardware at the time. I am currently in the process of condensing everything.

You can setup a SMB or NFS share on one computer and mount the share on the Unraid computer. Expose the shared path in docker and configure it in the *arr service. I have everything downloaded locally and the final file is stored on the NAS box. Everything is connected via a LAN. You'll probably get warning if a file tries to process while the Unraid box is off but it should not break anything and should resume when it can transfer again.

Not using a cache drive is not recommended, this post or others can explain better than I could.

@m5B7Eu Nice!

In your description I assume the NAS box is the Unraid computer?

What is the purpose of your SMB share? Do you mean you export an Unraid share so you can move the data from your "download" box to Unraid?

Or do you mean you add the "download" box as an external share in Unraid and essentially pull the data to Unraid?

How do you handle sleep and wake of the Unraid box?