Moving a server to a different country - Hardware swap question

IMDS
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi all,

I'm soon to move from my home country to the US.

And of course, I need to move my unraid server, but US customs might give me a hard time if I try to bring the whole machine.

Therefore, my plan is to just bring the storage (HDDs, SSDs and NVMe drives), along with my boot USB, and build a new machine there when I arrive.

My question is, would this be okay for the server and will it just boot up on a new CPU/MOBO/RAM combo?

I know that the unraid license is tied to the USB stick, but I just want to check if I need to do any preparation beforehand?

Below are my current specs, and I'll probably upgrade to a stronger CPU/MOBO combo:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-10105

MOBO: Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO

BIOS: F8

RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz

HDD: 3x 8TB WD Red

SDD: 2x 1TB MX500

NVMe: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro

Thanks!

In principle it should be easy to transfer to new hardware.

Things to look out for that might cause initial hiccups on new hardware are:

• Whether your disks are or will be attached via a RAID controller which can mean that disk serial numbers can get reported differently
  • If you are running any VMs with hardware pass-through the ID's of that hardware will be different.

Many people regularly make major hardware changes without issue so I would not worry too much.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

In principle it should be easy to transfer to new hardware.

Things to look out for that might cause initial hiccups on new hardware are:

• Whether your disks are or will be attached via a RAID controller which can mean that disk serial numbers can get reported differently
  • If you are running any VMs with hardware pass-through the ID's of that hardware will be different.

Many people regularly make major hardware changes without issue so I would not worry too much.

Currently, they're just attached to regular SATA ports on the motherboard. And NVMe into it's MOBO slot of course.

And I'm running a pretty basic NAS setup with Media server - no VMs, just docker:

image.thumb.png.227bac1376cae8c4d71eb2fa28ccfd4c.png

image.thumb.png.98b0743ea23165fbe2f03f399c0f7dd7.png

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

In that case it is highly likely that your new server will ‘Just Work’ once you have put it together and plugged in the drives without you having to do anything.

I'll make sure I create a few USB backups and screenshots of everything, but that would be great!

Thank you!