Disc replaced, rebuild failed, what next? [solved]

First of all - newbie alert. I will try to get as much info and history of what happened.

Running version 4.7, with unmenu. 6 disk array, valid parity disk.

I had some poor performance that I tracked down to a drive - in my case, disk4.

I removed the bad drive, put in a new drive and rebooted the array. I saw that disk4 was now being rebuilt, so I left it overnight to do its thing.

In the morning, I saw that disk4 was red and seemed to fail the rebuild. I think the drive is OK, and replaced the cable. When I tried to get the replacement disc back into the array, I seem to be stuck. I now have disk4 as red, and the replacement disk showing blue as disk 7.

When I try to unassign disk7 or disk4, the array defaults to a 3 disk array and seems to think it is a brand new array. On the main screen, I get 3 blue disks and 'stopped. Inital Configuration' in the command area.

If I reboot the array, I get back to the previous state ... disk4 red (missing) and disk7 blue (the replacement disk for disk4).

Replacement disk = 1TB, original disk4 = 750G

Anyone have any ideas as to how I should proceed?

Regards,

Brian

I am not 100% sure what happened here, but I was able to get the new disk in and it is now almost 100% rebuilt.

Here is what happened (pretty sure this was just a bit of 'newbie fever'):

- array was in the state shown above ... disk 4 red, new disk blue

- I am sure that I tried to un-assign both discs ... with the strange behavior of the array thinking it was new until a reboot.

- this time, I unassigned the new disk and the array did not immediately go to the 'new array' state.

- the new disc was then available to be assigned to disk4

- restarted array and the rebuild process began as it should.

The only difference was that I left the array untouched overnight. I am wondering if the 'disk clearing' process requires the replacement disk to be in the array some time before it is really available to be swapped in for a bad disk.

If anyone can provide some feedback, that would be great. I went to the Wiki to get the failed disk procedure .... maybe it needs to be updated??

Cheers,

Brian

Archived