Best way to configure Cache?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Just when I think I've figured out how to setup my Cache / Shares I end up with some disk full...

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:

1. I have a few shares (appdata, isos, downloads, system, domains) all set to Cache: Prefer with a minimum free space of 20GB except for downloads which is 120GB (I made this so high after running out of disk space when downloading a massive iso).
  2. I then have a 500GB cache pool with a minimum free space of 100GB (also had the same issue as above and set this high to avoid running out of disk space).
  3. My cache drive is currently sitting at 413GB used and 85GB free so my logs are getting spammed with `UnRaider  shfs: cache disk full` messages
  4. I also have Mover setup to run every 8 hours

My question is how do I manage how much free space is available on the cache and which files are moved to it, especially seeing as the shares set to "Prefer" amount to way more than 500GB? Shouldn’t Mover move files off the cache to at least satisfy the 100GB minimum space requirement?

How should I setup this up to avoid future issues?

4599550_UserShares.thumb.png.21299947b3bb1407c751a922b121ae09.png

868413348_Cachesettings.thumb.png.72f600fd08aaaeb71d051f21a7b3dca9.png

Also, looking at my mover logs I just see stuff like this:
1780863811_moverlogs.thumb.png.28ebf528b3bbd5bb5bfb19910872d5da.png

Edited by unRaide
  • Solution
3 hours ago, unRaide said:

My question is how do I manage how much free space is available on the cache and which files are moved to it, especially seeing as the shares set to "Prefer" amount to way more than 500GB? Shouldn’t Mover move files off the cache to at least satisfy the 100GB minimum space requirement?

The behaviour you describe sounds correct for the way that you have your system is currently set up.   You are trying to overload your pool capabilities.

A point to remember is that Minimum Free Space does NOT mean keep that amount of space free.   It is a value that when it drops below that the NEXT file to be created is sent to a different drive.   The current file will continue until it is complete which can take the free space well below the setting value..   That is why you want that setting to be larger than the biggest file you want to transfer.   Mover will not automatically move files off to get to the Minimum Free Space value.

It does not make sense to have Use Cache=Prefer for shares which total more than the available space.   You should either restrict this setting to those shares you really want on the pool and that will fit, or alternatively you can increase the size of the pool, or create additional pools.   Many people will have separate pools for caching, docker apps, VMs etc with each one using hardware and settings optimised for that type of use although there is nothings stopping you combining these functions onto a single pool.