First Steps after accessing Tower

Just built my first unRAID server, and testing out the free edition right now.

I have a 2TB empty hard drive that I just precleared, and now I am curious on what next steps I should do.  I would like to use 2 of my other drives that currently have data on them, but I am not sure the best way to add those to the array.

Any comments on what I should be doing next as far as bring the other drives over and setting up user shares?

Just built my first unRAID server, and testing out the free edition right now.

I have a 2TB empty hard drive that I just precleared, and now I am curious on what next steps I should do.  I would like to use 2 of my other drives that currently have data on them, but I am not sure the best way to add those to the array.

Any comments on what I should be doing next as far as bring the other drives over and setting up user shares?

This website should help you out with your questions, if you haven't looked at it already:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial

Thanks. I was more concerned with handling the data transfer and setting up user shares. For example should I create the shares first or once the data has been moved. 

I guess the only way to bring the data over is move data from 1 drive to the new cleared one and then bring that one over?  Is that basically the only way?

You should have at least 2 new drives in order to do the transfer safely. You need one data drive and one parity drive. Then you can transfer one of your data drives and be confident the the data is safe when you preclear the drive the data was copied from so it can be used as the second array data drive.

I guess the only way to bring the data over is move data from 1 drive to the new cleared one and then bring that one over?  Is that basically the only way?

you can buy more drives...  8)

otherwise, what you are doing does put your data at risk.

if something is not quite right, incompatible hardware, or you have a flaky drive, you could loose some or all of your data.

plus you would save a lot of time in the end.

Thanks. I was more concerned with handling the data transfer and setting up user shares. For example should I create the shares first or once the data has been moved. 

I think I have read that in order to increase speed of transfer that you could not assign a parity drive until after all data transfer?  Is that too risky?

Hello,

That's what I did. Left out parity drive while I transferred all data to server. Much quicker that way. I did make sure to pre clear all drives first with Joe's script. Also made sure to keep original data available until parity in service just in case.

Have a good one,

Jim

Hello,

That's what I did. Left out parity drive while I transferred all data to server. Much quicker that way. I did make sure to pre clear all drives first with Joe's script. Also made sure to keep original data available until parity in service just in case.

Have a good one,

Jim

I have tried it both ways.

loading up the array without parity, then checking the data is the same with beyond compare.

I also tried loading the array up with parity..

In the end, I am more of a fan of setting it to copy with beyond compare and parity in place and just ignore it for a few days and let it do its thing.

I also tried it with robocopy and had weird permission errors in 5b10.. /shrug

Archived