We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Re: Does unRAID work on both PC and MAC networks

i have my unraid on my network. I use 3 macs, an adroid phone, a wdtv live and a windows laptop. everything seems to work alright for me. i have everything set up with smb shares (mainly because i don't know what the others benefits are yet and smb was the standard option) and all the machines see the shares just fine.

I have a mostly windows network with only 2 macs.

I just use SMB shares myself for both.

the AFP is starting to look promising in the latest beta's

unless you NEED AFP right now for say timemachine, I'd probably start with 4.7 stable and use smb and wait for them to iron the bugs out in the AFP area.

there is no point in risking your data IMO.

then again, I am not a mac expert or power user. I use it for an HTPC, Iphone sync, and testing scripts/websites and a cup warmer (aluminum mac mini gets quite toasty). I may be missing some feature the way i do it.

I have a mostly windows network with only 2 macs.

I just use SMB shares myself for both.

the AFP is starting to look promising in the latest beta's

unless you NEED AFP right now for say timemachine, I'd probably start with 4.7 stable and use smb and wait for them to iron the bugs out in the AFP area.

there is no point in risking your data IMO.

then again, I am not a mac expert or power user. I use it for an HTPC, Iphone sync, and testing scripts/websites and a cup warmer (aluminum mac mini gets quite toasty). I may be missing some feature the way i do it.

I'm doing exactly this.

The only comment I'd give is to be careful with your user shares. Mixing Macs and PCs and Samba shares can mess up permissions. Keep it as simple as possible. If you don't mind anyone accessing on your local network, just set it to 'simple' shares.

MRKLAW,

Can they be "simple shares" yet have security?  I.E. hidden folders from users or like write access disabled? 

You can have hidden folders but user level write access depends on user level security. The permissions issue is a problem with the beta, but it may not trouble you.

A lot of people use hidden disk shares for writing and visible user shares as read-only. Hidden shares provide no real security however.

You can make a user share write-only for everyone without adding any extra users or security to the server. A number of people have the disk shares hidden as read/write (you can get there if you type in the location) and have the user shares visible as read-only. They these people use the disk shares to add content but the other users on the network never see them and normally access the user shares where they can't delete or modify anything.

Peter

Archived