I'm cursed! Cursed! (DOA WD 750GB)

sirwired

Grrr...

After getting a motherboard that wouldn't POST without a BIOS upgrade (which had to be physically mailed to me on a chip from FoxConn), now my WD SE 16 750GB doesn't work either.  I tried to bring it up in UnRAID, it got about 15 seconds through a format, and then got stuck in "Stopped: Valid Configuration"  After rebooting, messing w/ BIOS settings, un-configuring and re-configuring, re-installing unRAID on the key, I still got the same message.  Syslog just showed that it couldn't read some boot file off the drive.  The drive was recognized just fine... model no, s/n, temp, capacity.

On a lark, I burned a WD drive diagnostics CD, and it fails the most basic SMART tests... Back to WD it goes.  Luckily, unlike NewEgg, WD cross-ships...

BTW, limetech, the error handling could use some work... "Stopped: Valid Configuration" is not a particularly useful error message, and the drive showed up as "Green" the whole time, even though it did not, in fact, actually function.

SirWired

Well, my new drive came in today.  WD sent it 2nd day air on Monday (I requested it Saturday).  There was no charge for that speedy shipping, which I thought was a nice touch.

It fired up just great and actually works.  It was a "recertified" drive, which I have mixed feelings about, but I suppose it is not a surprise since I got it from the factory instead of the retailer.  I guess with the "recertification" it has probably been burned in, which I am guessing had not been done with the other one, since it died in about 30 seconds.

SirWired

Archived