Question about a six disk mobo build..

abs0lut.zer0

Hey all

I live in South Africa where most tech is TOO expensive and i only EVER want to have a 6 disk unRAID build.

So the question IS....

Do i get a cheap 6 sata connector mobo or sata card with a cheap mobo..

I DO REALLY WANNA HAVE 3TB SUPPORT FOR 5.x BUILDS ON THIS MOBO .. (sorry about the caps but this advice will have to last me at least 2+ years on my limited budget)

thanks for ANY advice.

;D

It shouldn't matter, either should work.  I have yet to hear of a SATA controller card or a motherboard that isn't compatible with 3 TB drives in unRAID.  Since unRAID doesn't boot from the hard drives, UEFI is not a requirement for 3 TB drive compatibility.

It shouldn't matter, either should work.  I have yet to hear of a SATA controller card or a motherboard that isn't compatible with 3 TB drives in unRAID.  Since unRAID doesn't boot from the hard drives, UEFI is not a requirement for 3 TB drive compatibility.

Has anyone confirmed the X8SIL-F-O works?

I emailed Supermicro - after a brief discussion they provided me some beta firmware, but with no promises it will actually work for most 3TB drives.  I did not yet have a need - so I haven't tried it yet.

Yes, I can confirm that the Supermicro X8SIL-F-O works with 3 TB drives, both via the onboard SATA ports and through SASLP cards.  I haven't posted my results anywhere yet (I aim to do so on the Greenleaf blog within the next week or so), so at the moment you'll just have to take my word for it.

Yes, I can confirm that the Supermicro X8SIL-F-O works with 3 TB drives, both via the onboard SATA ports and through SASLP cards.  I haven't posted my results anywhere yet (I aim to do so on the Greenleaf blog within the next week or so), so at the moment you'll just have to take my word for it.

Thanks Raj - I'm pretty certain that when you post the data, it will include the bios revs...

I don't need it now or anything - just really excited that this board is going to enable me to get 57TB in one machine.  (Likely more once the 4TB's become available - but minimum is 57TB...  god that scares me.  A lot of data to potentially lose :) )

Thank you very much Raj

Archived