Red Drive 8, Orange Start

Roger

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe L, since we did it before, figured, why not hit Disk 8 with a format again and run this command.  We tried it before, and it's running, crashed early on, I'll let you know.

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree -S --badblocks /boot/badblocks_disk8 /dev/sdX1

Don't suppose you found any more information on the bad block solution.  Disk 8 is the disk that was being formatted when I shut it down.  Don't have another 1.5 tera drive, have a 1 handy.  I know we are not there yet, just letting you know.

I know this is a stupid question, but; I found this command that said it fixes bad sectors, fsck -y /dev/sdaX, could it work?

Roger

Drive 8 comes up unformatted, should I bang it again with a format?

Sure.   Then, the SMART firmware should re-allocate blocks it knows are un-readable.  

before you do, try this command to get a SMART report:

smartctl -a /dev/sdo | grep -i alloc

I'm interested in the last number on eack line.

Then, you can format the drive using the button on the web-interface, then, from the command line, run

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree -S /dev/md8

to see what it can recover.

Before I got your message, started your 3rd badblock rebuild command that has the /boot/badblocks_disk8.  I locked at the link and I see how, rather than use a floppy, it should be using the badblock file we created that's on boot, to rebuild.  It's at 2348952185, usually fails at about 1948942185'sh.  So, I'll know soon whether this works, if not, I'll try your other suggestion.

Roger

Have the array stopped, seems to work better that way.  I did make the mistake a couple of times using the /dev/sdx command before I stopped the array, then I hit Control C, then I stopped, and ran again.  Did I hurt anything?

You should be fine.  Can't do much more damage at this point...  (with no parity drive assigned, can't mess up parity, as it is messed up regardless until you assign it and re-calculate it.

:'( Joe L, hope you didn't give up on me.  Waiting for your next solution

Do you have a free slot in your array to plug in the spare drive? (more accurately, a free physical slot/disk controller port)

If yes, we can get the rest of your array up and running, get parity established on it, leave disk8 out of the array for now and come back to it.

I'll be away from the computer most of tomorrow, so just run the --rebuild-tree -S on all the other drives you have not, then un-assign disk8, assign parity, and get the bulk of your disks protected once more.

If you have the spare drive, put in into the server, do not assign it as of yet.

Joe L.

Unfortunately, no spare slots, I'm fully, but; I'll unassign 8, and set parity in the morning.  Just two disks to go and I've run the rebuild on all.  THanks for your help.  In my gut, I know there must be a way to fix Disk8, just not understanding how.

ROger

Joe L, except for Disk8, all seems to be now working.  One terabyte drive, so I know there is stuff on there, I would want.  Electricity just went out on my house when the parity drive was 70% completed.  Some issue with the neighborhood. Does this cause the 15 hours of work to get to 70% complete to go poof on the parity drive.  WIll this potentially cause all the work we did so far to fail?

Roger

It figures, you would lose power in the middle of building parity.

I"m several hundred miles from my own servers. (on a trip to the beach) Hoping hurricane Irene does not hit before I leave for home later this week.

We will need it learn how it force write the bad block on disk8 it allow reiserfsck it complete.

Posting from Android based e-reader.

Joe L.

Joe L, know your busy, just checking to see if you have any advice on Disk8, and how to recover the data on it.  Tried to run a regular rebuild on Disk8 jsut to see what it would do.  Same location it fails 192133789, same message, Cannot read the block (52050987)

Roger

You had mentioned you had nearly 1000 sectors that had already been reallocated And  almost 200 pending reallocation when they are next written.

We need to learn how to congert the faling block numbr reported by reiserfs int

o one we can manually write it force a reallocation.

Joe L, the link you provided made sense to do this. Once the badblock file was created. And we did that with a list. Then the reiseefschk command in step 2 of 3 would reallocate or write over badblocks. Then 3rd rebuild tree. Made sense but for whatever reason Linux doesn't recognize the command. I saw some other references to how this might be done manually one block at a time but really can't understand it well enough to translate to our system.

Roger

Archived