Changing Plugin URL

I want to switch the URL for the Tailscale plugin (right now, it's based on the main branch in Git, I want to switch to a "latest" release/tag instead).

What's the best way to do this (to make it seamless for the end users)? RIght now, I think the process should be this, but I figured I'd check in case anyone else has done this:

1. Create tag for the latest release.
  2. Switch the plugin file to refer to the new path.
  3. Switch the repository file to refer to the new path.

Uninstall and re-install (and issue an update to the old .plg URL) telling them to do this.

Doing a bait and switch triggers a ton of security warnings and winds up blacklisting the plugin, having FCP yell at everyone to uninstall it because it's a security risk etc etc. -> primarily because you've gotten everyone to install plugin A but then you're having the plugin on an update install plugin B

Or to put it another way, I wouldn't put in all of the exceptions required to accomplish this when @ljm42 wanted to change the plugin URL for Connect when it was rebranded from MyServers, so it's very unlikely I'd do the same for any other random plugin.

Thanks for the response.

It's disappointing that changing:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkaser/unraid-tailscale/main/plugin/tailscale.plg

to

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkaser/unraid-tailscale/latest/plugin/tailscale.plg

would be described as a "bait-and-switch" and security problem so bad that it warrants a plugin being blacklisted.

I can shuffle my repo around a little bit to make this work for me, but it would be nice to have some way to modify the plugin update path that doesn't inconvenience all the users.

The feed catches it because the URL changes so it winds up being a NEW plugin due to the change of the url.  One of the checks is checking the .plg matches whatever the xml says.  if they differ, it is a security issue.

Side effect of any of the potential workarounds is that Fix Common Problems would scream it's head off to every one with it installed that it's either blacklisted or unknown and should be uninstalled until they wind up updating.  All in all a royal pain for me to work around for what effectively becomes a one-off issue that is an inconvenience to the authors.