ZFS Pool Without unRaid Array?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have read all release notes of 6.12 but haven't tried it out yet because I prefer to wait for general release. From what I read; it looks like we will have the ability to create a ZFS zpool but the traditional unRaid array remains as it is.

I'd like to switch to ZFS, but I have a small system and don't have enough drives to use both. My question; is it reasonable to use a ZFS Pool instead of the unRaid array? Or are there enough things in unRaid that expect the array to be running that doing so would be a major hassle?

• Solution
2 hours ago, sphbecker said:

I have read all release notes of 6.12 but haven't tried it out yet because I prefer to wait for general release. From what I read; it looks like we will have the ability to create a ZFS zpool but the traditional unRaid array remains as it is.

I'd like to switch to ZFS, but I have a small system and don't have enough drives to use both. My question; is it reasonable to use a ZFS Pool instead of the unRaid array? Or are there enough things in unRaid that expect the array to be running that doing so would be a major hassle?

It is a requirement at the 6.12 release that you have at least one drive in the array.   However if you intend for all your data to be on a ZFS pool then you can use a small flash drive (that will not be used to store any data) to satisfy this requirement.   That requirement may disappear in a future release with any luck.

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, vmasip said:

And is this usb shortcut added to the count of the number of disks included in the license?

Yes, unfortunately as Unraid does not realise you are doing this to get around the current requirement to have at least 1 drive in the Unraid type array.

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2023 at 12:40 AM, itimpi said:

It is a requirement at the 6.12 release that you have at least one drive in the array.   However if you intend for all your data to be on a ZFS pool then you can use a small flash drive (that will not be used to store any data) to satisfy this requirement.  

An important extra piece of information. Kinda obvious in hindsight, but Im a newbie.

I followed the above advice, and it worked well for a simple Unraid ZFS file server. I assigned an old 1GB USB flash drive to the Array (Disk1) to keep it happy (nothing else) and all was well.

.... UNTIL I decided to install Plex/docker. By default everything appears to install on the Array, rapidly filling the 1GB stick and failing.

Takeaway? Remember to reconfigure ALL the default shares to point to your ZFS pool IMMEDIATELY you build Unraid, before you start installing anything.

Im now working fine with Plex/docker on the ZFS pool, but took me a while to cleanup the mess.

More experienced souls... Please correct me if Ive misunderstood this. 

Also Im assuming there is no issue with this configuration.

Edited by Stu99