The Summer Sale is on! 😎 Save BIG on Unraid Unleashed Now ×

Unraid crashes and brings down router with it

Go to solution Solved by Vyktrii,

This is my first unraid build and i,m running unraid on partly new system (i5-12400F,32gb DDR5 4800mhz Ram, B760M Mobo), Reused Components Include ( GTX 1650, 450w PSU, Cabinet)

This logs dont include the errors i get on screen 20230520_153939.heic20230521_200126.heic20230521_200423.heic

It was crashing very frequently (every hour) so nuked the server as it was new and rolled back to stable release, from 6.12rc6 to 6.11.5, but it didnt help, uninstalling photoprism did help as it bought down frequency of crashes to once every 8 hours or so, but didnt stop it

My Problem is very similar to, But i ran memtest for 16hours and 4 passes and got no error, also as my server is connected to an access point and not directly to the router, it doesnt crash the router it only crashes acces point, however if i connect it to the router, it crashes the router too...

Here is my log file that contains few errors but not all as i get on my screen

syslog-192.168.1.2.log

Edited by Vyktrii
Attaching log file

The are constant call traces logged, looks more like a hardware problem, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, will run in safemode for few days after the next crash, just to doublecheck the ram, i used RAM from my gaming rig in unraid setup, if it still crashes, i would be sure that ram isnt the issue.

Do you think PSU could be an issue, a member on reddit pointed out that it might be, since i dont have many HDDs, adding up peak total power consumption of Unraid comes to about 250w, but since my PSU is a 450w (With single 12v rail output of 450w), i dont think that could be a problem

Edited by Vyktrii

UPDATE 1 : It was releated to RAM, i checked 4 different sticks of ram, and they all gave errors, i just cleaned the slots with Isopropyl alchol and compressed air, now its working fine for past 16 hours, even tested under various loads, i transcoded 3 videos from 4k to 1080p on gpu and 1 video from 4k to 1080p on CPU (s/w) transcode, so thge system was under stress for around 20min interval for 4-5 times, it was probably some speck of dust or sedimentation on new motherboard

Could be a lots of things, with hardware issues you basically need to start swapping some things around, start with the easier stuff:

On 5/23/2023 at 9:24 AM, Vyktrii said:

It was releated to RAM, i checked 4 different sticks of ram, and they all gave errors, i just cleaned the slots with Isopropyl alchol and compressed air, now its working fine for past 16 hours,

First, seems unlikely to me that this would fix anything, but also unlikely that 4 DIMMs are bad, test with just one or two sticks, if it still crashes try different ones, that would basically rule out RAM issues, you can also try with a different PSU if one is available, but based on the symptoms, RAM, board or CPU would be the main suspects.

On 5/26/2023 at 7:28 PM, JorgeB said:

Could be a lots of things, with hardware issues you basically need to start swapping some things around, start with the easier stuff:

First, seems unlikely to me that this would fix anything, but also unlikely that 4 DIMMs are bad, test with just one or two sticks, if it still crashes try different ones, that would basically rule out RAM issues, you can also try with a different PSU if one is available, but based on the symptoms, RAM, board or CPU would be the main suspects.

I replaced my motherboard as it was new, unraid still crashes, i swapped ram sticks between my gaming PC and nas, unraid still crashes, also i tried using a USB3 NIC instead of onboard ethernet, unraid still crashes, also i found a user on reddit with similar crashes as me and he is on similar setup, an asrock 760 mobo (i have gigabyte 760), i5 13500K (I have 12400F), to test CPU i ran prime95 for 1 hour and left windows 11 open for 12hours, did not crash

20230529_235622.jpg

Edited by Vyktrii