Any trick to getting the Mini SAS cable to work?

jbuszkie

I bought this cable from cable matters.

I also just got the SASLP MV8 recntly.  I just tried the combo in a test system and the bios doesn't see any drive connected.  UnRaid reports the same.

Do I have the correct cable?  Or do I have to do anything with the SASLP card?  the SASLP *seems* to be working fine since the bios is showing up and I can enter the utility..  It just doesn't see any drives.

Someone else PM'ed me with the same situation. 

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jim

We need to know more information about the cable and about your set up.  Are you connecting directly to hard drives, SATA backplanes, or miniSAS backplanes?  We need to know if the cable is a forward breakout or a reverse breakout, and unfortunately Cable Matters doesn't specify.  I suggest you email them and ask them about it.

We need to know if the cable is a forward breakout or a reverse breakout, and unfortunately Cable Matters doesn't specify.  I suggest you email them and ask them about it.

My guess is that's the issue.  someone else on the forums here couldn't get an answer from them.  I also just e-mailed them.

I can't find a pinout for the forward cable!  If I have that I could ohm out the cable to see if it's forward or reverse.

I bought one of these cables. Nice cable but it is a reverse breakout cable. It is designed to connect a drive array or hot swap bay that has a mini SAS 36Pin connector to a controller that has individual sata connectors for individual drives like a motherboard does.

There was a forward breakout cable in good deals that was a great deal. I will see if I can find link.

Reed

I bought one of these cables. Nice cable but it is a reverse breakout cable. It is designed to connect a drive array or hot swap bay that has a mini SAS 36Pin connector to a controller that has individual sata connectors for individual drives like a motherboard does.

Ok..  Well now I know!.. You saved me the trouble of trying to ohm out the cable to figure that out!

Thanks!

On the bright side...  I now have a reverse breakout cable if I ever buy the 4020 Norco box! :D

EDIT: I had already bought a longer than needed (forward) breakout cable earlier today when this cable didn't work. So Hopefully there won't be any gotchas with the longer right angle min-SAS connector.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14043.msg133005#msg133005

$6.00 each free shipping

He says:

Shipping Via USPS.

Will only ship to United States only.

WILL NOT SHIP TO NEW YORK!!!!!

Ok..  Well now I know!.. You saved me the trouble of trying to ohm out the cable to figure that out!

Thanks!

On the bright side...  I now have a reverse breakout cable if I ever buy the 4020 Norco box! :D

So do I! LOL Glad I could help.

Reed

On the bright side...  I now have a reverse breakout cable if I ever buy the 4020 Norco box! :D

The 4020 uses regular SATA backplanes, so a reverse breakout cable would be useless.  In a 4220 or 4224 it would be right at home.

D'oh!  I knew that..  It just slipped  my mind!  The question is will I ever get a 4220 or 4224!

Jim

Archived