File Permissions on External Hard Drive

I believe this first started a few weeks ago.  On my external hard drive that's connected using unassigned devices, I can't delete any files.  I am browsing the hard drive via a windows computer.  I know a solution is to go to the unraid command line and set the permissions for the entire folder structure.  

Any idea how this happened?  Is there an easier way to fix the file permission for this than what I mentioned?  ( New Permissions option under Tools will not work as it does not detect the external hard drive, just the directly attached drives)  Thanks.

The drive is connected to the unraid server.  It's an external hard drive case connected to a usb port on the back of the motherboard.  The file system is xfs on the external drive.  I checked the syslog and I see this message "unassigned.devices: Warning: Unassigned Devices are not set to be shared with NFS."

Just now, Mogo said:

The drive is connected to the unraid server.  It's an external hard drive case connected to a usb port on the back of the motherboard.  The file system is xfs on the external drive.  I checked the syslog and I see this message "unassigned.devices: Warning: Unassigned Devices are not set to be shared with NFS."

If that is the case then yes there could be permission issue on the drive.