Array Drive Replacement w/ Parity

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello Community, 

Appreciate any assistance on the below. 

I'm replacing a data drive on my UNRAID host, due to one having 'Reallocated sector count' of 8. 

I've got the new drive, pre-cleared it, and I am wondering if I can replace the drive without rebuilding parity. 
Is there a way I can copy the data from the existing disk 3 to the new drive before replacing it in the array so that I'm not having to re-read from all the disks? 

I'm thinking I can stop the array, add the new disk to the array, use unBALANCE to copy all the data to the new disk, and then remove the old. Will this work? 

Appreciate it!

• Solution

No, but it is the drive you rebuild, not parity.   Replacing the drive requires rewriting every sector on that drive with its new contents and during that process Unraid will be reading from all the other data drives and the parity drive to reconstruct it’s contents.   There is no need to first copy the data elsewhere as the rebuild process puts back the contents.   It’s a good idea, though, to keep the removed disk intact until the rebuild finishes just in case anything goes wrong during the rebuild.