Macrium reflect backup app cannot access share. Windows can

Logs attached for 6.11.5. Windows can access unraid share, but Macrium Reflect 7.3.6391 triggers the following error messages and cannot access the share. This works intermittently since I've been successful at backing to NAS share before. Tried rebooting Unraid.

Many of these when Macrium launches:

NASBoy nginx: 2023/05/31 15:05:23 [error] 4141#4141: *37665 limiting requests, excess: 20.913 by zone "authlimit", client: 192.168.1.14, server: , request: "PROPFIND /login HTTP/1.1", host: "nasboy"

Other threads talks about closing hanging webguis. But Macrium is a standalone app, no browser.

The PC running Macrium is 192.168.1.14. I also use a pfSense router. Any connection there?

What does this mean and is there a work around? Thx!

image.thumb.png.25730dbaa6b7815f805ce7be6bef056e.png

nasboy-diagnostics-20230531-1510.zip

Edited by cometship
On 5/31/2023 at 7:33 PM, cometship said:

Macrium does not allow mapped network drives as sources.

Yes it does.

Why are you (maybe?) using NFS? Why are you (maybe?) using nginx on a pfsense router?

How are you using nginx on a pfsense router?

MrGrey.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if I'm understanding the issue, but I've been using Macrium to backup one unRAID server to another unRAID server for quite a while.   Yes, I realize there are unRAID backup tools that would backup from one unRAID to another (and would cut out the middle-man - my Windows PC), but I prefer to use the same backup tool for all my backups (Macrium Reflect).
I have a share on my unRAID:   UR2-i9

In that share I have a folder: winGprog

On my Win11 PC, I have a map: G: (\\UR2-WSPR\UR2-i9)

In Macrium, I ADD SOURCE FOLDERS:  \\UR2-WSPR\UR2-i9\

For my destination (a 2nd unRAID server):  \\Ur1-wopr\UR-BU-UR2-WSPR-SELECT\UR-BU-i9-G-i9unique\

And on that 2nd unRAID, I have a share:  UR-BU-UR2-WSPR-SELECT

under that share I have a folder of:  UR-BU-i9-G-i9unique 

Note that I don't actually use the drive G: mapping in Macrium, I use the UNC names.

Also note that it becomes a FILE & FOLDER backup, NOT an IMAGE backup.  A but slower, but it still works.  This is because the Windows PC does not "own" the unRAID share, so it can't trust the file flags on the unRAID since it has no control over those flags (or so I assume) - so it has to scan/compare the files to see what has changed as part of the actual backup.

Macrium backs it up with ALMOST no issue.  The only issue I've run into, Macrium apparently has a maximum number of file/folder items it can "keep track of" - if I try to back up my entire drive F: (on same unRAID server, set up similar to above, but has MUCH more data), Macrium fails.  So what I had to do was set up 4 backups of F: that ONLY grabbed certain root folders (and below folders).  And then on the 5th F: backup, I select all folders EXCEPT for the previous 4.  (Again, I used the UNC names in Macrium, not the F: map letter.)
Unfortunately I do not know the "breaking point" - it was a matter of a trail and error.  Originally I only had to do two chunks, but as I added more and more stuff, I've had to break it up to where I now have 5 chunks (5 different backups for the drive F: share).

BTW - in case you have not already done this:
Another important thing I found out about using Macrium to put backup's to unRAID - make sure you specify file size maximum!
In My Macrium backup definition files, I went into ADVANCED OPTIONS, FILE SIZE, and put a FIXED FILE SIZE of 250GB.  This saves the backup file as several files in 250GB chunks instead of one huge single whopping big file (the filenames are numbered, it is easy to see which file goes with which set).  If you just do one big file, there is a risk it might fill up one disk and abend instead of putting part on one disk and then jumping to another disk in the share for the other part(s).

Then, on the unRAID share, in the MINIMUM FREE SPACE, I put 500 GB.  At least I think that's what I put, it was either that or 1000GB (to give myself some "elbow room").  Unfortunately, the most recent unRAID upgrade changed this value to a percentage (for example: 30% instead of xxxGB)!  I tried changing it back to the absolute GB value, but it keeps reverting back to a BIG percentage!  I'll be posting to the developers to see if there's a way to keep the setting at GB).
In case you want to follow it, my report of this MINIMUM FREE SPACE bogus percentage issue has been posted.  The subject is:  MINIMUM FREE SPACE CHANGES TO A (BOGUS(?)) PERCENTAGE

Edited by RobertP
Added info about bug report subject title