Low-power, small footprint build for low processing needs

Hi all,

I've been a happy Unraid user for the past four years. My box is a ten-year-old Gen7 Proliant Microserver with six drives. I'm using this exclusively as a file storage/sync device so that ancient machine is sufficient for my modest needs. But nothing lasts forever, and I want to plan ahead for when the Microserver eventually kicks the bucket. I have never built a server and I am looking for suggestions of components (apart from the drives, which I will just reuse) that would fit the following profile:

• My top priorities are low power usage and low noise;
  • My next priorities are number of drives (6, or 5 as a last resort) and small size;
  • I'm planning to use it for many years so I'm ready to pay a decent price;
  • My processing power needs are modest: I'm running a 3-way ZFS mirror, Syncthing in a docker, maybe also a Minecraft server (if I ever get it to work), a Gitlab instance, and BorgBackup server. So I'm happy with an "older" CPU as long if it's efficient (low-power), and I don't see how/when I would ever need a GPU (no video playback, no transcoding whatsoever).
  • In terms of case my first impulse was a Fractal Design Node 304 (because small and potentially quiet) but I have no idea if there are obviously better options out there.

FWIW instead of building somethign from scratch I've also considered buying a TerraMaster F5-422 and installing Unraid on it, but it has only five drive bays and I haven't found an easy way to add a sixth drive.

So, keeping in mind that I know nothing at all about CPU/motherboard options, nor how to know which components are compatible with others, what would be the best way for me to move forward? Thanks in advance for those of you taking the time to help me out.

15 hours ago, nanoserver said:

So, keeping in mind that I know nothing at all about CPU/motherboard options, nor how to know which components are compatible with others, what would be the best way for me to move forward? Thanks in advance for those of you taking the time to help me out.

Welcome to the forum!

The Node 304 is a very good small NAS case.

But it only accepts mini-ITX motherboards which are less common, generally more expensive and normally come with only 4 SATA ports and a single M.2 slot (as applicable to the "big 4" consumer motherboard brands).

For more ports you would need to add a SATA expansion card.

Also not the easiest case to work on.

Other mini-ITX mobo options are available with more SATA ports but they are either much more expensive server oriented or much cheaper obscure Chinese brands - I don't think you'd want either.

A real good option is the Node 804 - it's a similarly shaped, though larger and much easier to work on cube case.

It has tons of space all around and designed for 8 HDDs.

It also accepts more common micro-ATX motherboards that are readily available with 6 SATA ports plus a couple of M.2 slots that could be used for cache.

Intel i3-12100 (non-F SKU) would be more than enough for your use case.

The rest can be selected via https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ - the site checks all components for compatibility.

Don't overlook the PSU - get a quality unit (at least Tier B or better, single rail, in the smallest wattage capacity you can find).

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Edited by Lolight
  • Upvote 1

Lolight, thanks for the feedback. So I looked up the Node 804, and it does seem quite a bit larger. I'm wondering if there is any obvious benefit for the 804 over the Fractal Design Define R5 (or R6), which has a slightly smaller overall volume in a narrower/higher aspect ratio. Since I'm sure I'll always prioritize silence and storage space/redundancy over computing power, I wonder if the R5/R6 isn't a slightly better choice. (also, is there any functional difference between R5 and R6).

I'll look into the other components, thanks again.

9 hours ago, nanoserver said:

So I looked up the Node 804, and it does seem quite a bit larger. I'm wondering if there is any obvious benefit for the 804 over the Fractal Design Define R5 (or R6), which has a slightly smaller overall volume in a narrower/higher aspect ratio

The Node 804 is actually significantly smaller than the R5 in overall volume - 40 liters vs 55.

It's only larger in the width.

If the width is the sticking point then yeah, a tower case should be a better fit.

In other aspects...

The windowless R5 should be quieter over the Node. The question is by how much.

It has a better cable routing design and better access to HDDs.

The R6 is slightly bigger but has better flowing HDD trays.

The R6 has a real PMW fan hub instead of a 3 speed fan controller,

The Node has better air flowing HDD sleds which are also located in their own chamber.

Should keep HDDs cooler since they are fully separated from the heat generating CPU/motherboard.