Help with ASM1062 PCIe on Lenovo P620 - Cannot See Attached HDDs

Hello dear forum experts,

I am trying to add a few more hard drives to my server. It is based on the Lenovo P620 workstation, equipped with an AMD Threadripper Pro 3945WX processor.

Currently, I have five hard drives attached directly to the motherboard, which still has one spare SATA slot available.

I'm using an AXAGON expansion card based on the ASM1062 chipset in a PCIe slot.

I can see my m.2 NVMe drives and the five hard disks that are directly attached to the motherboard in the system.

Additionally, the PCIe expansion card is listed in my system hardware.

However, I cannot see the hard drives that are attached to this expansion card.

I have attached the hardware diagnosis, hoping that someone may help me find out the problem and fix it.

I've tried altering various BIOS settings, including the PCIe speed and others, but to no avail.

I appreciate your help in this matter.

unraid-diagnostics-20230613-2012.zip

Controller is being initialized correctly, but then fails to correctly detect the disks, there's also issues with this disk connected to the onboard SATA controller:

Model Family:     Western Digital Black
Device Model:     WDC WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0
Serial Number:    V3086S8F

Check/replace cables for the disk above and move one of the working disks, e.g. parity, including the SATA cable, to the Asmedia controller and post new diags

18 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Controller is being initialized correctly, but then fails to correctly detect the disks, there's also issues with this disk connected to the onboard SATA controller:

Model Family:     Western Digital Black
Device Model:     WDC WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0
Serial Number:    V3086S8F

Check/replace cables for the disk above and move one of the working disks, e.g. parity, including the SATA cable, to the Asmedia controller and post new diags

First of all, thank you for your assistance!

Regarding the hard drive in question, do you think it might be defective? It's a brand new disk, but I've noticed it doesn't report temperature or initiate the pre-clear process. If it's indeed faulty, I'll have to return it for a replacement.

To further troubleshoot, I disconnected a known working hard drive (the one serving as parity), and swapped its cable and input location (from the motherboard to the ASM1062) with the "non-working" HDD. Now, I see three visible unassigned disks in the system.

Could you suggest any additional checks to further diagnose the issue? I've attached the diagnostic file for your reference.

Thanks again for your help!

unraid-diagnostics-20230614-1438.zip

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Since parity is also failing to initialize it suggests a controller problem, see if you can test with a different one or test that Asmedia controller in a different PC.

I will try on my intel pc, my obvious suspect - is the LENOVO motherboard with that weird BIOS with limited options...

that is what I suspected to begin with but its just a guess

I will update after results 

• Like 1