We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Ideas for upgrade path: ZFS VS the rest

Hello,

I have received some equipment from work and I need tips and would like to hear your experiences.

Currently, I have:

- i5-11500 processor
- 32GB 3200Mhz RAM
- B560 motherboard
- 1x18TB parity, 1x16TB, 1x8TB, 1x6TB, and 5x4TB data drives = 18TB parity + 50TB data array running on XFS.
- 2x1TB Cache SN550 NVME SSD
- Meshify 2XL storage layout
- 750W Gold PSU

- 10 Gig

The server is located at a family member's place and is mainly used for ARR's, Plex and a small VM. The server is not far from me, so I can physically access it, but I would like to avoid making it a necessity.

From work, I have received 24x8TB SATA NAS drives. I believe it should be possible to fill the Meshify 2XL case with 18-20 drives. So, I'm contemplating whether to replace the entire current array and instead install 20x8TB in RAIDZ1 or the recommended setup(recommend me, please!)? I enjoy tinkering and building, but this server will be offsite and ideally running 24/7 with minimal downtime. It's also possible that in the future, I may receive more equipment from work, including larger drives, which would make it easier to swap out disks if I choose XFS and expand the current array. Another option I can make happen is to go for either ZFS or XFS array on the old server and build a new server with new parts either from work or self-purchased, allowing me to tinker to my heart's content, and that server would serve as a backup for location 1.

If you were in my shoes, would you discard the current array and set up with ZFS? Or would you reuse the 18TB parity and 16TB data and fill the rest of the array with 8TB drives for easier upgrades later on?