Problem creating new configuration with a new drive already containing data...

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I am removing my old small drives and also switching the remaining drives to ZFS and to do this creating a new configuration. I also have one new drive that would like to use in the new array that already is formated with ZFS and contain data I would like to keep (and have included in the initial parity calculation).

I tried to create a new configuration consisting of what should become the new parity drive and the already formated ZFS drive but when I start the array and start the parity calculation the new drive is for some reason marked as "unmountable" even though it is perfectly mountable as a "unassigned disk"...?!

Is this because I have never done a "preclear" of this drive or what may be the reason? What is my best way forward in this situation?

Edited by NAS-newbie

Just out of curiosity what is different from the format performed as part of the array build procedure to formating a disk with a supported file system under Linux on another machine or say in UnRAID as an unassigned disk? Are there some special metadata written, some special req on formating parameters or?

What I was hoping to achieve was to be able to fill the disk before it was added to the array (I assume writes are slower in the array as one also need to maintain the parity but perhaps there is no significant difference?)...

• Solution
2 hours ago, NAS-newbie said:

Just out of curiosity what is different from the format performed as part of the array build procedure to formating a disk with a supported file system under Linux on another machine or say in UnRAID as an unassigned disk?

Unraid requires a specific partition layout and MBR signature, a disk formatted with UD will also adhere to those.

2 hours ago, NAS-newbie said:

What I was hoping to achieve was to be able to fill the disk before it was added to the array (I assume writes are slower in the array as one also need to maintain the parity but perhaps there is no significant difference?)...

You can re-format with UD, copy the data, then add to array (if there's no parity installed yet).