WireGuard help. What am I doing wrong?

I'm having trouble setting up WireGuard.  In a previous life, I was reasonably happy with OpenVPN-AS docker, but that appears to be deprecated after WireGuard was integrated.  For reference, this is Unraid version 6.12.1.

The use case I'm looking for is Laptop Remotely to Internal Network local use.  I believe this is either what WireGuard calls Remote Access to Lan, or if possible and even better, Remote Tunneled Access (this would be preferred, but not required).

RTL.PNG.de4626d7fc39a01578e3e0ee1482f9d6.PNG

RTA.PNG.8770ad2afe0739f13428776677df42ef.PNG

I have suspected that the issue may be the limitations of my Google Router and its lack of Static Routing capability. Unfortunately, the Google Routers are limited when run in the Bridge Mode as it disables their mesh capabilities. Since this was the entire purpose of getting them in the first place, this would be disappointing.

GoogleRouterHardware.PNG.e33f78b20cf255cbac1a2be332fecb75.PNG

I am not sure if Static Routing is required feature of WireGuard. Under the Local Server Uses NAT information, I see:

When NAT is enabled, the server uses its own LAN address when forwarding traffic from the tunnel to other devices in the LAN network. Use this setting when no router modifications are desired, but this approach doesn't work with Docker containers using custom IP addressess.

When NAT is disabled, the server uses the WireGuard tunnel address when forwarding traffic. In this case it is required that the default gateway (router) has a static route configured to refer tunnel address back to the server.

I have tried both NAT set to YES and NO, but neither case results in success. I do have not have any dockers on this Unraid installation using Custom IP addresses.

I have tried UPnP set to YES and NO as well, and have not had this help.  UPnP is enable in the router settings.

GoogleRouterPNP.thumb.PNG.dadf4c3e32aae837589f081910e6e801.PNG

I was hoping that someone could look over my settings and see if this was a configuration issue on my side. I'll admit that I am not a network professional, and this is honestly not my forte.  My understanding expands every day, but I do get lost sometimes trying to follow some of the things I read.  That said, I'm certainly willing to learn :)

Here are the router Lan settings:

GoogleRouterLan.PNG.6a589a51a4be11bebb1b1e6f16d2a8d1.PNG

Router Port Forward Settings:

GooglePortForward.PNG

Here are the settings I've tried: (I did confirm the DuckDNS forwarding on their website is correct as well)

WIreguard.thumb.PNG.d09474de025f058ba61045611a4eedef.PNG

Obviously, the 3 comments I'm seeing in the settings page:

UPnP: forwarding not set

Remark: docker containers on custom networks need static routing 10.253.0.0/24 to 192.168.86.113

Remark: ensure the peer network is different from 192.168.86.0/24

-UPnP: I've set it to on, I'm not sure if there is more to do.

-Static Routing: with NAT set to NO and no Dockers with custom networks, this shouldn't be an issue.

-Peer network. I think I have this correct, since LAN is 192.168.86.x and WireGuard Network will be on 10.253.0.x.

It seems worth adding that when testing from WITHIN my local intranet, connecting over WireGuard, that the functionality seems appropriate for both of the above 2 situations, Remote Tunnel Access or Remote to Lan. But when using an outside IP origin I seem to have the problem. The Wireguard app does successfully connects on both Windows and Android, but then I cannot connect to anything on Local Intranet or Internet.

Can anyone point me in the direction to try something new?

Edited by mikesp18
tried local IP and commented, fixed syntax
  • 3 weeks later...