Cache drive swap attempt leads to old drive as "Unmountable"

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello All,

I am a unraid and Linux novice, I have been using unraid for about a year now as a NAS/Plex server. Recently I've been getting some SMART errors on my cache drive. While attempting to swap in a new drive I seem to have inadvertently locked my existing cache drive (with data still on it) in an "Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system" state (Haven't re-formatted or anything). I had already set the shares to cache (after disabling docker, don't use VM's) and invoked mover. ~40 gb of data was moved to my array, but ~400gb of data still showed on my cache drive. I am 99% sure I had manually set my plex server to save the metadata onto the cache drive, and this is the data in question. I was struggling to get this copied off, and decided (in hindsight poorly) to start the array with my new SSD as the cache drive, leaving the old cache drive as an "unassigned device". Basically as expected Plex was broken. When I took the array off line and swapped the cache back to the old drive. It showed as "Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system". I attempted to copy the data onto my windows PC directly (shut server down, connected a SATA->USB cable directly to the SSD) but windows didn't seem to recognize the drive as-is. I'm sure I made a bunch of newbie mistake and would be eternally grateful if some of you folks could help me out of this pickle.

Log attached (I think?)

tower-syslog-20230626-1609.zip

Edited by NewGuyEddie
Added log

Disk /dev/sdd: 931.51 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Disk model: CT1000MX500SSD1
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

Edited by NewGuyEddie

Amazing! After restating the array the cache drive showed up as before! Thank you so much!

2 insularity questions if you can help:

It looks like the plex instance is partially back up and running but is saying that *Plex name* is currently unavailable. Shows as started in the docker tab, and I have no issues accessing the content on the array. Anytips on getting this back online?

Now that the old cache is back up, what would be the easiest say to migrate the the new SSD w/o causing additional issues? I do have the SATA connections to connect both drives at the same time.

P.S. any way I can make a donation to the forums/youself as a thanks?

Edited by NewGuyEddie
Corrected mistake
2 minutes ago, NewGuyEddie said:

It looks like the plex instance is partially back up and running but is saying that *Plex name* is currently unavailable. Shows as started in the docker tab, and I have no issues accessing the content on the array. Anytips on getting this back online?

Sorry, can't really help with that as I've never used Plex.

3 minutes ago, NewGuyEddie said:

Now that the old cache is back up, what would be the easiest say to migrate the the new SSD w/o causing additional issues? I do have the SATA connections to connect both drives at the same time.

Change cache slots to 2, add the new device to the pool, once the balance is done and the data duplicated you can remove the old device.

3 minutes ago, NewGuyEddie said:

P.S. any way I can make a donation to the forums/youself as a thanks?

You can buy me a beer at http://paypal.me/blackjohnnie