We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Before I dive too deep

I'm about to setup a NAs at home.  After swaying between FreeNAS, Amahi and UnRaid, I've come came to UnRaid purely for the ease in which I can add non-like drives to the array.

A couple of things I want to check / bounce of someone before I start to make sure I understand what I am doing and that I don't need to do too many rebuilds before I have it singing and dancing.

My kit is an ASUS P8H67-I, i3 2100, 4Gb RAM, 4 x Seagate 2TB Green 5400k drives, 1 x Seagate st2500 500Gb drive.  I'm assuming that will be fine.

My thoughts were to have the 500Gb drive to act as my OS/Boot/Always spinning drive.  This would hold UnRaid and the programs I want to run like SABnzbd+ SickBeard CouchPotato Transmission etc.  The scripts would then copy the files to the Data Raid (4 x 2TB) drives when required to keep them spun down as much as possible.

Is this scenario feasible ?  While I know 500Gb boot OS drive is an overkill, it's a spare I have lying around so it made sense to me.

Down the track I want to have a better look at the packages available.  I was hoping for my server/nas to also act as my home DHCP Server, Web Server, and possible allow me to VPN in from outside.  Can UnRaid cope with all that ?  Or am I pushing to be something it shouldn't be.

TIA for any advice.  While I reckon I could spend 6 months trying it all out, I really want to get something up and running nicely soon so the wife doesn't question the outlay in Hardware.

My kit is an ASUS P8H67-I, i3 2100, 4Gb RAM, 4 x Seagate 2TB Green 5400k drives, 1 x Seagate st2500 500Gb drive.  I'm assuming that will be fine.

That board uses the Realtek 8111E NIC which is known to have compatibility problems with current versions of unRAID.  5.0b12 might fix that as it will be running a newer kernel and have updated drivers.

My thoughts were to have the 500Gb drive to act as my OS/Boot/Always spinning drive.

No, unRAID runs from a flash drive normally.  You can set it up to boot from a hard drive, but you will need to have a licensed USB flash drive to be able to use anything other than the free version.

This would hold UnRaid and the programs I want to run like SABnzbd+ SickBeard CouchPotato Transmission etc.  The scripts would then copy the files to the Data Raid (4 x 2TB) drives when required to keep them spun down as much as possible.

This is what most of us use the cache drive for.

Is this scenario feasible ?  While I know 500Gb boot OS drive is an overkill, it's a spare I have lying around so it made sense to me.

Use the 500GB drive as a cache drive and run unRAID from a flash drive.

Down the track I want to have a better look at the packages available.  I was hoping for my server/nas to also act as my home DHCP Server, Web Server, and possible allow me to VPN in from outside.  Can UnRaid cope with all that ?  Or am I pushing to be something it shouldn't be.

It is all doable, just depends if someone has done it before and given instructions on the process.

That board uses the Realtek 8111E NIC which is known to have compatibility problems with current versions of unRAID.  5.0b12 might fix that as it will be running a newer kernel and have updated drivers.

OK, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I'm actually playing with 5.0 Beta 11 as I type this.

No, unRAID runs from a flash drive normally.  You can set it up to boot from a hard drive, but you will need to have a licensed USB flash drive to be able to use anything other than the free version.

OK, well that answers that.  If I need the flash drive for licencing it makes no sense not to use it for the OS I guess.  I just need to see how easy it will be to move the USB internally so it doesn't stick out.

This is what most of us use the cache drive for.

Use the 500GB drive as a cache drive and run unRAID from a flash drive.

OK, lovely, I can do that then as well.  I'm playing with the free version for now until I understand it all then I'll upgrade.  If the Cache makes sense, that's what I'll use.

It is all doable, just depends if someone has done it before and given instructions on the process.

Nice, that's all I need to know.  It's expandable and most likely will be for items it makes sense to do, based on community effort.

Thanks for the answers.  Now I'll just sit here and watch the Parity Sync happen.

Archived