Unraid with Active Directory - Managing Permissions correctly

Hello,

I have recently activated the Active Directory Integration via SMB with Unraid. With this I am able to set permissions for the different shares with active directory accounts. Since I added this I am having lots of difficulties getting it to work as I want it to...

Example:

I set Unraid to default use Administrator as Owner and "Enterprise Admins" as Creator Group.

grafik.thumb.png.c34b2185b9ae1e39b8516379cd526ef3.png

I set it to be exported but as private with nobody having access

grafik.png.2950bdf8d26e0444bfc39645d3a6c59d.png

At this Point I can access the Share from any of my windows maschines no matter what Active Directory account.

I now go into "Permissions" of the Share from a Windows Maschine and delete the "Everyone" entry to reduce access to only my admin Accounts.

grafik.png.8964f670248d991d1e8d6d3c074205ea.png

After I press delete and Apply it reappears immediately.

But now I can access it with my admin accounts but not with my other ad-users (in this example my "plex" user)

I now add "plex" as a new user and give them read and write permissions. This causes "Creator Owner" "Cretor Group" to also appear.

grafik.png.c91c1076a09ea418a2269ad5b12b1a80.png

At this point I can still not access the folder with that plex user.

I tried playing around with it more with deleting everyone creator etc. and then lost full access so I repared the permissions with the included tool in the unraid webui and now "nobody" is owner of the share again.

At some point with my tests I also got it to sorta work but when removing permissions for my plex user I was still able to delete the files he created as he was still set as the owner.

All this is really frustrating and I feel I am doing something fundamentally wrong.

Can somebody tell me how to correctly manage unraid share permissions with active directory accounts?

Goals:

- Local Unraid Users can still access it if their permissions are set

- The set Admin Groups can always read / write

- Specific Users can be set to read and or write and might also be switched around occaisonally. (e.g temporarily giving a user write access but afterwards disabling it again to protect against encyption viruses)

Edited by Anon
  • Like 1
  • Anon changed the title to Unraid with Active Directory - Managing Permissions correctly
  • 1 month later...

Hello Anon, 

Are you able to replicate the issue and capture diagnostics? The issue you are experiencing seems to be very similar to the issue I also encounter when upgrading an existing configuration from 6.9.2 to 6.10.3+. 

I have a thread on it here: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/136002-upgrading-ad-integrated-692-build-private-share-access-issues/

You might also find a plugin made by Dan that can help you modify some Samba settings: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/137467-active-directory-extras-plugin-allows-tweaking-some-ad-settings-in-samba/#comment-1249136

Your goals seem to be similar to what I have working with 6.9.2 but stops working after upgrading the version of Unraid.