Help with changing Parity drive

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have a small Unraid server that I am changing out the Parity disk.

My current set up:

4TB Parity disk on sdc

4TB Data disk on sdd

16GB flash drive

256GB SSD Cache drive

New 8TB Parity is being precleared on sde

I am replacing the Parity disk with a 8TB disk currently on sde being precleared.

My concern is once preclear is complete I will make the new disk Parity 2 and let the old Parity disk update the new parity disk with the intention of once that is complete remove the old Parity disk and the new 8TB drive the only Parity drive (Parity 1).

Once the 8TB is updated to Parity 1 I have to take it off the current power location on the power cable and plug it into the old parity drive location on the power cable and plug the old parity cable (sdc) into the new 8TB drive. This is in order to get the drive to fit in the box and the cable to reach the drives to close the case up.  Is this a problem having the new 8TB being updated on sde and then changing to sdc once the old parity drive is removed?

Thanks

Ozzborn

tower-diagnostics-20230716-1455.zip

Parity2 is not interchangeable with parity1 as they use different algorithms to calculate their content.

if you want the 8TB drive to end up as parity1 then you should do that from the outset.  Just keep the current parity1 drive intact until you have completed building parity2 on the 8TB drive just in case problems are encountered.

BTW:  the /dev/sdX identifiers are irrelevant to Unraid - it tracks disks by their serial number, not by where they are connected.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

Parity2 is not interchangeable with parity1 as they use different algorithms to calculate their content.

if you want the 8TB drive to end up as parity1 then you should do that from the outset.  Just keep the current parity1 drive intact until you have completed building parity2 on the 8TB drive just in case problems are encountered.

BTW:  the /dev/sdX identifiers are irrelevant to Unraid - it tracks disks by their serial number, not by where they are connected.

Do you mean remove the old Parity disk and set it aside ..... and let the new Parity drive be rebuilt from the data disk?

• Solution
8 hours ago, ozzborn said:

Do you mean remove the old Parity disk and set it aside ..... and let the new Parity drive be rebuilt from the data disk?

Yes

That way if by any chance there a dive fails when building the new parity1 disk you have the old one available for recovery purposes.