N00b with two issues

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi there! I'm pretty new to unraid and loving it so far. I do have a couple of issues. One of them is mentioned fairly often in the forums and elsewhere but the responses all refer to settings that I do not see anywhere, and so I am guessing the interface verbiage has changed in a way that I cannot translate or something.

I have a Media share that is set to "array only" that contains movies, TV shows, home videos and photos. For some reason, even though the share is set to array for primary storage with no secondary (for which cache isn't even listed as an option) Unraid has started placing copies of new Media files and folders in my meager 128GB cache, quickly filling it to 100%. There are posts all over about a cache setting for shares with the options "yes, no, preferred" and I do no see these anywhere. Since the copies in /mnt/cache/media are redundant, I deleted all of the movies and TV series from within to quickly free up cache. Why would Unraid be creating copies of share data in cache when it's not configured to do so?

My second problem, which I haven't dug into yet, is that I cannot stop the array succesfully. I stopped it early this morning to see if stopping the array unlocked more settings for me to look at, and for the second time, it got stuck at "stopping" and all of my dockers were down. I can only resolve by rebooting. My disks are all good and my parity checks are passing.

Edited by chagercloud
to correct typos and add an additional detail.
  • Solution

How are you placing the files into the Media share?  If it is via a docker container then you may be encountering the behaviour described here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

you are correct in the the terminology changed in the 12.0 release (although the functionality has not).  The new terminology is described in some detail in those release notes.

20 minutes ago, itimpi said:

How are you placing the files into the Media share?  If it is via a docker container then you may be encountering the behaviour described here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

you are correct in the the terminology changed in the 12.0 release (although the functionality has not).  The new terminology is described in some detail in those release notes.

Thanks for responding. The files in question are being downloaded to my qBittorrent docker's downloads subfolder, and then at some point I drop to the command line and use linux mv commands to move completed downloads up to the Media folder (/mnt/user/Media). The Media folder/share is set to array only. No cache, no mover actions. I'll look at the infor you linked!

Just now, chagercloud said:

Thanks for responding. The files in question are being downloaded to my qBittorrent docker's downloads subfolder, and then at some point I drop to the command line and use linux mv commands to move completed downloads up to the Media folder (/mnt/user/Media). The Media folder/share is set to array only. No cache, no mover actions. I'll look at the infor you linked!

If you use the Linux mv command you would get the effect described in the link I mentioned as that by-passes the user Share system.   If you used a copy/delete strategy then you would be OK.   Using Dynamix File Manager would be another way that would work correctly.