Upgrading from v6.8.3

My current unraid server is pretty old now, however it still works fine - so have no reason to upgrade/replace the hardware.

However with SSD prices dropping, I recently bought 2x 4tb sata SSDs to replace two array drives (one parity and one data).  Having now set all of that up, i read that this is probably a bad idea and I shouldn't use SSDs within the array.

So the solution seems to be to use the SSDs in a btrfs pool outside of the array, as that would support trim.  However the version of unraid I am using (6.8.3) does not support multiple pools.

The reason I have never upgraded unraid is that some years ago when i tried upgrading to v6.9.x this broke passthru on my vm's.  No one on the forums was able to help me fix that at the time.   So I reverted back to a working 6.8.3.

I'm thinking that i should try upgrading again to the latest version and see where I stand.   However as I am so far behind, I'm concerned I won't be able to revert easily if things don't go as expected.

Can anyone advise if downgrading back to v6.8.3 from v6.12.x is possible?

6 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

They always said SSDs don’t support TRIM but I just bought two that do.

SSD’s have always supported Trim and have relied on it to keep performance maximised. The issue has been that Unraid never does a Trim of SSDs that are used in the main array.   The rational for this was that this could lead to silent corruption of parity unless the SSD supports Deterministic Trim.

• Like 1