Help moving my dockers off of main hdd array to new SSD

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

To start I know I probably shoul've started with dockers on a seperate SSD and life would've been simpler, but alas, this is my first time trying a home server so I just went with what I had.

So i have a main array with all my shares & dockers. 

Is there a way to move all my dockers to the new SSD, specifically without breaking the locations for their folders (like plex/sonarr/radarr/etc)

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, theMillen said:

To start I know I probably shoul've started with dockers on a seperate SSD and life would've been simpler, but alas, this is my first time trying a home server so I just went with what I had.

So i have a main array with all my shares & dockers. 

Is there a way to move all my dockers to the new SSD, specifically without breaking the locations for their folders (like plex/sonarr/radarr/etc)

Thanks in advance.

You need to give a bit more information such as:

• provide your system’s diagnostics zip file so we can see more about your system setup.
  • What is the start of the path for your current containers (e.g.  Is it something like /mnt/user/appdata/plex) as you only give the last part.

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You need to give a bit more information such as:

• provide your system’s diagnostics zip file so we can see more about your system setup.
  • What is the start of the path for your current containers (e.g.  Is it something like /mnt/user/appdata/plex) as you only give the last part.

tower-diagnostics-20230722-1402.zip

image.png.ffb48645f52e80c77d4450d08ee1f49f.png

Sorry, are these what you're looking for? (sorry very nub when it comes to unraid)

• Solution

OK - the following should work:

• Disable the docker and VM services
  • it looks like the ‘nas’ pool has not yet been formatted?   If so I would recommend it is set to use btrfs format, and then format it.
  • under Settings->Global settings set the option to allow Exclusive access.  This is to later allow it to be used on suitable shares.
  • Set the ‘system’ and ‘appdata’ shares to have Primary storage set to be the ‘nas’ pool with secondary storage set to be the array.   If you intend to run Vms you might want to also do this for the ‘domains’ share.
  • set the mover action for these shares to be array->cache.
  • click the Move Now option on the Main tab to make mover start moving files for these shares to the ‘nas’ pool.   This could take some time.   If you want to do it
  • when mover completes you can unset the option to have Secondary storage as now all files for these shares should be on the ‘NAS’ pool
  • you should now be able to set the ‘exclusive’ option for these shares which will maximise performance.
  • Enable the docker and VM services under Settings.  

your dockers should now be running off the ‘nas’ pool and should perform faster than when on the array.

33 minutes ago, itimpi said:

OK - the following should work:

• Disable the docker and VM services
  • it looks like the ‘nas’ pool has not yet been formatted?   If so I would recommend it is set to use btrfs format, and then format it.
  • under Settings->Global settings set the option to allow Exclusive access.  This is to later allow it to be used on suitable shares.
  • Set the ‘system’ and ‘appdata’ shares to have Primary storage set to be the ‘nas’ pool with secondary storage set to be the array.   If you intend to run Vms you might want to also do this for the ‘domains’ share.
  • set the mover action for these shares to be array->cache.
  • click the Move Now option on the Main tab to make mover start moving files for these shares to the ‘nas’ pool.   This could take some time.   If you want to do it
  • when mover completes you can unset the option to have Secondary storage as now all files for these shares should be on the ‘NAS’ pool
  • you should now be able to set the ‘exclusive’ option for these shares which will maximise performance.
  • Enable the docker and VM services under Settings.  

your dockers should now be running off the ‘nas’ pool and should perform faster than when on the array.

thanks for the help!

image.thumb.png.bc072d2d27203981b88c44a8e0430dfc.png

it is greyed out?

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The format option is on the Main tab (near the button to start the array).    Make sure that the drive(s) listed are the one you expect.

derp, thanks, it's been awhile since i set this up and completely forgot, and thought the array had to be offline XD TY!

5 minutes ago, theMillen said:

ok after move i get this is this normal?

image.png

EDIT: nvm, i assume it's because theyre no longer on a parity protected array...

Yes it is normal if the pool is single drive so there is no redundancy.  

You probably want to use the appdata backup plugin to make periodic scheduled backups to the array.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Yes it is normal if the pool is single drive so there is no redundancy.  

You probably want to use the appdata backup plugin to make periodic scheduled backups to the array.

thanks for all the help, you got a paypal/donation link so i can buy you a beer?