Bitlocker and unraid?

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hi, I want to prevent unauthorized access in case of theft. Can I use bitlocker with unraid? I mean: can I make a separate bitlocker thumb Drive in order to unlock the data Drives? I am currently using a thumb drive for bitlocker on Windows just fine.

But I am thinking of migrating to unraid.

Best wishes.

Edited by naddel81

No, you can't use BitLocker on Unraid because that's a proprietary windows program and Unraid is a Linux OS.

But there are Linux programs like LUKS and AES Crypt that could get you encrypted drives. I have not fiddled here because I want to access the server remotely which would mean I have to leave the key in the computer, which would not prevent access as well as just having a good password on the unraid OS. 

In my opinion if you have even basic physical security then your likely more exposed to information theft or information loss due to a bad configuration of your network/unraid. 

• Solution
7 hours ago, naddel81 said:

So ist is not possible to let unraid automatically decrypt the Drives after password has been entered?

Unclear what you mean. The drives will remain accessible after you enter the passphrase until the server is shut down. When you start the server again the encrypted drives will be unavailable until the passphrase is entered.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, naddel81 said:

So ist is not possible to let unraid automatically decrypt the Drives after password has been entered?

Unraid uses LUKS for encryption (you need to format with this option), which works in a similar way to Bitlocker.

You can either manually enter the passphrase to unlock disks and start the array, or store it somewhere accessible at array start time and have it use it automatically, e.g. your example of a separate usb containing the passphrase.

Edited by tjb_altf4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 9:32 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

Unraid uses LUKS for encryption (you need to format with this option), which works in a similar way to Bitlocker.

You can either manually enter the passphrase to unlock disks and start the array, or store it somewhere accessible at array start time and have it use it automatically, e.g. your example of a separate usb containing the passphrase.

@tjb_altf4 Hi, can you tell me exactly how to do this, webgui setup or what tool to use to automatically decrypt the boot array on boot. I have no way back now, please help me, thank you very much!

On 7/25/2023 at 7:20 AM, JonathanM said:

Unclear what you mean. The drives will remain accessible after you enter the passphrase until the server is shut down. When you start the server again the encrypted drives will be unavailable until the passphrase is entered.

@JonathanM Is it possible to have it automatically decrypt the disk when booting up, encrypted disks should be automatically decrypted when booting up as long as the hardware hard drive belongs to the local machine, because he is used to prevent the hard drive from being extracted to be mounted on other machines, and to prevent data leakage when the hard drive is damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced.

The current design: I think he should not be used to prevent the hard disk in the local machine is mounted (similar to the phone inside the privacy lock, do not enter the password can not open the APP), if not enter the password leads to the whole array can not boot, can not realize a series of automation procedures, I think this encryption is now very unreasonable.