Need Help with Docker PostgreSQL 14 - "psql: error: connection to server on socket failed: FATAL: role 'max' does not exist"

Hello fellow Unraid enthusiasts,

I'm currently facing a perplexing issue with my Docker PostgreSQL 14 setup and could really use some valuable insights from this knowledgeable community. As a relative newcomer to SQL, I'm struggling to resolve the problem, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to lend a hand.

Here's the situation: Recently, I decided to tidy up my database and consolidate it for various Docker apps, aiming for better organization. However, since this reconfiguration, I'm encountering the following error whenever I try to connect with "psql -U max":

psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL: role "max" does not exist

Despite my best efforts to fix the issue, following tutorials and guides, the error stubbornly remains. I even went to the extent of deleting the Docker image and starting from scratch, but to no avail.

To provide some context, here's a brief overview of what I've done:

1. Attempted to consolidate all my Docker databases into a single location for improved organization.
  2. Ended up with the "role 'max' does not exist" error whenever I try to connect using "psql -U max."

To make it easier for you to help me, here are some additional details:

• My system is running Unraid with Docker version 14 for PostgreSQL.
  • I followed the official documentation and various online resources, but the issue persists.

Given my limited experience with SQL, I might be overlooking something obvious, and that's where I hope this wonderful community can lend a hand.

Additionally, to aid in troubleshooting, I've attached a diagnostics zip file containing relevant information about my setup.

If anyone has encountered a similar problem or has any insights on how to troubleshoot and fix this error, I would be immensely grateful for your guidance. Your expertise and advice could really make a difference in getting my setup back on track.

Thank you all in advance for your support and understanding. Looking forward to your responses!

NeZios-diagnostics-20230724-2059.zip

• Upvote 1

Here is my docker command execution : 

docker run
-d
--name='postgresql14'
--net='blancnet'
-e TZ="Europe/Paris"
-e HOST_OS="Unraid"
-e HOST_HOSTNAME="FamilyXXX"
-e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="postgresql14"
-e 'POSTGRES_PASSWORD'='XXXX'
-e 'POSTGRES_USER'='max'
-e 'POSTGRES_DB'='FamilyXXX'
-l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
-l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://github.com/juusujanar/unraid-templates/raw/master/img/PostgreSQL-logo.png'
-p '5432:5432/tcp'
-v '/mnt/cache/appdata/postgresql14':'/var/lib/postgresql/data':'rw' 'postgres:14'
24dc6abb9dcb940eacfa00a8c78d76ba73529916d9dfa509b635ddb7c257f27d

• 6 months later...